Anthropology and critical theory/postcolonial studies

fullinbox

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to PhD programs in Fall 2017 but a lot of faculty I have contacted have given me a mixed response regarding as to where my research interest fits. I already have a detailed proposal of my topic (I'm also applying to the UK, as well as the US, and the UK requires a detailed one), which focuses on the Middle East, nationalism, and Orientalism. After sharing with some anthropologists my idea, which they said they were interested in, they also said that my focus on Orientalism is more related to cultural studies than anthropology (which I don't particularly understand as I know that anthropologists have used Orientalism, which they also agreed that anthropologists have done). I would like to learn from to use the methodologies of anthropology. But, I'm very interested in studying society using postcolonial or critical theory - which it appears is not so relevant in anthropology? (please correct me if I'm wrong). Meanwhile, Middle East programs such as those at Columbia have a very strong focus on critical theory and postcolonial theories, which is what I want. But, they will not give me the disciplinary training (or degree) that I would like from Anthropology. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated, as my academic background is not in anthropology and I'm quite confused about the disciplines and fields right now.

Edited by fullinbox

Critical and postcolonial theory are definitely relevant in anthropology. I have no idea why you'd think otherwise. Have you actually read any recent work by anthropologists on the Middle East? I think doing so would shed some light on whether the field is appropriate for you.

4 hours ago, rising_star said:

Critical and postcolonial theory are definitely relevant in anthropology. I have no idea why you'd think otherwise. Have you actually read any recent work by anthropologists on the Middle East? I think doing so would shed some light on whether the field is appropriate for you.

Thanks rising_star. As I mentioned in my OP, the reason I thought this is because two professors I've contacted stated that my use of Orientalism is more relevant to cultural studies than anthropology. While they  said that Orientalism has been influential in anthro, they stated that other theories that are more relevant to anthro (such as ethnicity) should be used in my paper. I'm not sure why they said that, which is why I'm asking for thoughts on this. I've read a few things on Orientalism in anthropology, but if you do have any relevant readings, can you please share what they are? Thank you :)

I think some of the confusion may stem from the fact that Edward Said was not an anthropologist, and was one of the early leaders in the emerging field of cultural studies.  His work on the Middle East is certainly used by anthropologists, and I've had different chapters/sections from Orientalism assigned to me in various anthro courses, but when you come right down to it Said is a literary and cultural theorist rather than a cultural anthropologist.