Red Flag?

Legend111

Hello all,

I have recently started a master's program in I/O psychology, and I feel as though it may not be the right fit for me.  Classes have only been in session for a week, and I am already not too engaged with the reading or material, and find myself questioning why I left everything behind to pursue this.  Perhaps it could have something to do with the fact that I have been out of school for four years and the amount of dense science reading required is extreme.  I find my mind wandering constantly.

Has anyone had a similar experience at the start of their grad careers?  Is it normal to have feelings of disinterest or question why you are pursuing the degree in the first place or is this a red flag that this isn't the correct choice for me?

When you make a big change, it's common to question it and wonder if you're as happy or engaged as you thought you would be. But the truth is, we often aren't. I just moved for an IO program as well, and it came with a lot of life changes. The city (if you can call it that) is a lot smaller, the transportation system is pretty bad, there isn't anything to do, people have been nice but it doesn't really go beyond that, and everything is generally quite boring. If I focused on that aspect, I would definitely be second-guessing my decision.

However, I'm focusing on the good parts. I got some cats, and they help me wind down and stay mentally sane. I power through the readings, and I try to focus on the end goal. I've been looking for positive aspects of the city, and I'm trying to do things I wouldn't before to make the most of it.

If it's only been a week and it's not an amazing wonderful party and the research material isn't everything you dreamed of, that's how life is. Now, no one can tell you it was worth leaving everything behind, but if this is going to benefit you in some way, then it's likely best to stick with it. Sometimes you have to just decide that you like something, and then you'll find yourself liking it.

I'm pretty sure everyone's mind wanders when reading papers. I'm also not engaged at all in classes like stats, where it's super boring and repetitive. But that's just school. That's what everyone's experiencing.

I agree with @eternallyephemeral. It is important to "check in" with yourself and ensure you are making decisions that will make you happy and lead to the goals you're seeking. But if you just started a program, it's too early to know if it's the right decision for you. Most graduate students I know decide after 1 or 2 years (i.e. usually after a Masters degree). I think it's worth spending at least a year in grad school to see if you want to continue. Especially since you have spent some time away from school, it will take some time to adjust to the type of work required to be a successful student. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys!

I've been hanging in there, but my motivation is at a low point, and my effort level is dropping already.  I think it's time I really assess why I came in the first place before I end up wasting more time and money.  Initially I thought it was just the adjustment period, but the feeling is only getting worse over time...