NYC area Fall 2017 Applicants

Kdubbub

Saw a similar post for Cal state applicants so figured we could also use a thread for applicants on the opposite coast!

What schools/concentrations are you applying too? (NYU, Hunter, Columbia, Fordham, Rutgers...)

What stage of the application processes are you in and what are your stats? 

I'm applying to Columbia and NYU. A little worried about my GPA as far as getting into Columbia- I have a 3.39. When I went to the NYU information session they said the average GPA was 3.4 so I'm not too worried about that one. I don't have too much experience in the field, just a few years of volunteer experience and internships in college. Hopefully that will be enough to at least get into NYU!

Just started applications yesterday and working on asking for recommendation letters.

Good luck to everyone! :)

I have a 3.6, about 150 hours of volunteering abroad several years ago, and a few internships during college. I'm applying to Hunter, Columbia, and NYU. 

I too am starting to get my recs in order and also trying to get my SOP's done as early as possible to avoid being super stressed about it right before Columbias December 1st deadline!! Does anyone have any tips or info on the Columbia essay? The application says "up to 8 pages" which seems like a lot. Other schools ask for a much shorter essay. Hunter says up to 1000 words, for example. I'm wondering if they expect applicants to go into more detail than a typical statement of purpose or if 8 pages is just the absolutely maximum? But I'm probably just over thinking it like everything else! Haha!

Hi Everyone!

I just moved from Pittsburgh to NYC in July because my husband got a new job here. I actually got into the University of Pittsburgh MSW program, but then this whole job thing happened so here I am. Right now, I am looking into Hunter and NYU. Unfortunately, I didn't do super well in college and have a totally unrelated degree (3.0 GPA and BS in Biology). I do have a year and a half of experience doing behavioral therapy support with children with Autism. 

I haven't started anything yet, but I think next week I will be asking for letters of recommendation and getting started with the essays. 

Good luck!

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I wanted to see if you guys had any insight. I always hear people talk about Hunter, NYU, and Columbia, but I haven't heard anyone mention Yeshiva University or Touro College. Is there a reason for this? They both offer MSW. Are they bad programs, or just not as popular? 

17 hours ago, Racket said:

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I wanted to see if you guys had any insight. I always hear people talk about Hunter, NYU, and Columbia, but I haven't heard anyone mention Yeshiva University or Touro College. Is there a reason for this? They both offer MSW. Are they bad programs, or just not as popular? 

Hopefully someone comes along who can answer your question better than I can but I think schools like Hunter, NYU, and Columbia get talked about the most because all three are respected throughout the city (at least from what I've read and from the two MSW's I've talked to) and because these schools have much larger/older programs when compared to some other smaller or newer programs.  I have no idea what the reputations of Yeshiva and Touro are though so can't help you there. 

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to Hunter and Columbia in concentrations that focus on global social work and immigrants/refugees. I'm applying to NYU because they have long-term study abroad options, but Hunter is my first choice. I did well in undergrad (graduated in Honors with a 3.8), but I've had a hard time consolidating all of my experiences into my personal statement because they're all over the place. 

At this point, all of the straightforward parts of my applications are done, but I'm still editing and re-editing and revising my statements. They're the hardest part for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Submitted my Columbia application on the 1st at 11:45 pm! 1 down, 2 to go. Now for the waiting game (for 2-3months?)

The statements were not easy for me either. I have never spent so much time on a 4 page essay before! I also updated and threw my resume together at the last minute. It wasn't formatted too well and I'm super paranoid that there's some kind of typo that I didn't catch before submitting. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys! I am Also applying to Hunter NYU and Columbia. I did very well in undergrad and graduated with a 4.0 GPA. However, the personal statements are freaking me out. I am having a hard time putting all of thoughts together while answering the questions. Is anyone else struggling with the personal statements, if not do you have any pointers?