STS applicants, spring 2017?

Hey guys! I am considering applying for a masters degree in science, technology, and society for spring 2017, and would really like to hear from others considering this. I have zero background in sociology, science, or math. I did my undergrad in mass media, and a post-grad diploma in new  media journalism, and have been working at a large news wire for the past five years as a reporter covering pharmaceuticals and healthcare. Last I studied science was in high school, (and I was great at biology) but couldn't pursue it further, and have always wanted to learn more about science and tech. STS modules sound very exciting! But given my background, there are very few schools I can consider. I'm also wondering how to think of a research topic. Any ideas at all? Fellow applicants, what are your topics, and how did you think of them? 

Any advice at all would be really helpful! I definitely want to study this next year, and application season is already underway, so I need to act fast.

Thanks!

Where are you applying to programs?

I can only comment regarding programs in North America, so if you're considering programs elsewhere, feel free to be skeptical of my comments. :) If you're applying to programs in North America, there's very few programs to apply to, generally. There's perhaps half a dozen in the United States, and three or so more in Canada? Several programs in both countries are incredibly competitive, and it's likely that your interests will not align with all of the programs that exist. 

Off the top of my head, regarding true graduate-level STS programs (not certificate programs or similar), there's: Cornell, Arizona State, Rennsalaer, York, GIT, MIT, Drexel (no PhD program). 

If you're willing to study in STS-ways in non-STS departments, your options open a bit, but it's still a very small disciplinary world. All of this said, work really hard to adapt your statements to align with emphasis of each program. Fit is king, and there are far too few programs to reliably apply to only programs where fit is ideal. You probably need to be a little flexible. Even still, many programs in North America are very difficult to get into. I believe Cornell only accepted 2-3 applications this year, and there were over 40 applicants, if memory serves. MIT is also incredibly competitive, and I've heard that they typically favor MIT alumni. York is similarly competitive. 

I've kind of rambled a bit, and I'm not sure if it's all that useful, but what's your interests?

On 10/5/2016 at 8:34 AM, workingjourno said:

Hey guys! I am considering applying for a masters degree in science, technology, and society for spring 2017, and would really like to hear from others considering this. I have zero background in sociology, science, or math. I did my undergrad in mass media, and a post-grad diploma in new  media journalism, and have been working at a large news wire for the past five years as a reporter covering pharmaceuticals and healthcare. Last I studied science was in high school, (and I was great at biology) but couldn't pursue it further, and have always wanted to learn more about science and tech. STS modules sound very exciting! But given my background, there are very few schools I can consider. I'm also wondering how to think of a research topic. Any ideas at all? Fellow applicants, what are your topics, and how did you think of them? 

Any advice at all would be really helpful! I definitely want to study this next year, and application season is already underway, so I need to act fast.

Thanks!

I'll plug my own program, Science Studies, at UCSD. You might be interested in the Communication department is one of the main departments that "shares" students with the Science Studies program. :) I don't think they have admissions for 2017, so you would be starting in Fall, 2017.