I am so stressed out.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm applying to NJ schools, four in particular. However I just found out one of these starts in the summer, and all pre-reqs must be completed by May. I'll be doing two science courses in spring and I just CANNOT complete the one other pre-req I'm missing by May as well. So it looks like this school is off my list. I'm also panicking that my list is now just three schools. Also, I'm trying to get apps going NOW and I'm just uncomfortable that my transcripts will indicate I'm still in process of taking my 5th and 6th prereq, but I don't want to wait until they're over in December. Does this matter?

This process is completely overwhelming.

Thanks for listening.

Kate

I would send your transcripts now, and then a follow up transcript in December. Many folks apply to grad school in their senior year of college, so courses are obviously in progress for a majority of applicants. I sent in all of my transcripts, then will be doing an academic update in December/January when my grades for this semester come in. 

I would also e-mail the program that starts in summer regarding the required course, and see if taking a course Spring semester would be alright. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to guess that the school with the summer start is Monmouth :P

I applied to only a couple of schools last year (wanted to take a gap year to gain volunteer experience, but figured I'd try a couple anyway), both being in Jersey. When I applied to Stockton and Monmouth, I still had to take A&P Speech/Hearing (I was taking them in the Spring). Ultimately I didn't get in, but that was due to subpar gre scores, really. I had no problems applying when I didn't complete the pre-reqs yet. 

I can't really help you with the pre-req situation for MU, unless you're willing to take on one more course. MU used to allow students to take the pre-reqs after being admitted into the program (I believe it was in first one or two years after establishing the program), but now they make it mandatory to have everything completed prior to matriculation. Still, I would contact them just in case. Right now their pre-req courses are online, so if possible I'd take advantage of that. I shadowed under an SLP at a hospital who was a supervisor for MU's program and they're planning on making the courses either hybrid or fully in person. WARNING: Phonetics with Prof. B is awful, if that's the course you need. She doesn't really understand how to work online classes. 

I'm applying to fours schools in Jersey as well; hoping I can stay in state lol. I'm also applying to schools out of state too, despite not wanting to leave here, because I had a taste of how competitive the programs are around here. Last year MU had 300 applicants and only took about 25. Crazy. I'm not even attempting to apply to Montclair lol. 

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)