What is a Quantitative Psychology PhD program like?

iamthesith4382

Question

Here's a bit of my background. Last year I applied to Clinical Psychology programs, but I did not get in. Instead I ended up going to a Masters program in Psychological Research. In this program I took an advanced statistics course, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think I'm pretty good at it. The professor teaching the course is a Quantitative Psychologist. Honestly I had never even heard of this area of psychology. This is likely to having gone to a tiny undergraduate university. I was really excited when I found out about this field because my favorite areas of psychology have always been methodology and analyses (I thrived in Research Methods). Overall, I am really interested in researching measurement. In the clinical realm I was primarily interested in the measurement of personality with emphasis on pathology. I have a strong research background at this point, and a lot of experience with SPSS. My major questions for you guys are as follows...

1) Is there a place in a Quantitative psychology PhD program form someone particularly interested in measurement of personality?

2) I do not have a background in calculus. Is this a problem? Will I be out of my league? I do have four semesters of research methods and three semesters of statistics.

3) I am not particularly interested in creating new statistical methods myself. Is that a problem?

4) Is there anything I need to do to improve my chances for getting into a program? I was thinking about maybe learning R or SAS or both. Is this worthwhile?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet