Advice for SOP in Sociology-how much focus on methods?

anthrostudentcyn

Hi, I am coming over from anthropology. And anthro doesnt really have many methods other than ethnography, but for my sociology applications I am interested in doing some mixed methods stuff. Could anyone give me advice or even PM me about this? I think my research questions are very sociological, I just need some work on framing. 

I am asking how much does one focus on methods in the SOP for sociology. like do you generally say (just as an example): i am interested in using a longitudinal analysis for divorce rates of immigrant parents who have been in the US over 10 years. or would it be better to say: i am interested in working in marriage and family structure in immigrant families, integrating X`s theory on family structure.

I am open to various methodologies...namely media analysis, conversation analysis, and ethnography, but also do not mind working with bigger data sets. Should I specify one, or focus more on my research questions?

3 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I am asking how much does one focus on methods in the SOP for sociology. like do you generally say (just as an example): i am interested in using a longitudinal analysis for divorce rates of immigrant parents who have been in the US over 10 years. or would it be better to say: i am interested in working in marriage and family structure in immigrant families, integrating X`s theory on family structure.

I am open to various methodologies...namely media analysis, conversation analysis, and ethnography, but also do not mind working with bigger data sets. Should I specify one, or focus more on my research questions?

You were able to state all of that in a few sentences, so it seems like a good start.  If you can integrate data, method, and theory in a single statement, so much the better.