Listing Dimension and Material for Digital Photograph?

Leo168

Hey all,

I have some questions in regards to submitting photos for an MFA in photography.

In the applications, there is often a place to include dimensions and material for each image in the portfolio. In situations where one is submitting a photograph of another piece of art, this makes total sense. (example: sculpture is 20ft x 17ft, etc, etc, etc.) However, when it comes to photography, the expectation is less clear.

As some of my photos are actually scanned prints from a dark room, I can give specifics in size printed, paper type, and film used. But, some of my photos are digital and have therefore not been previously printed.

My questions are, for Photography Submissions:

Do I list materials and dimensions for digital work?

How about printed work?

What details should I go into/what details should I skip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

7 hours ago, Leo168 said:

Hey all,

I have some questions in regards to submitting photos for an MFA in photography.

In the applications, there is often a place to include dimensions and material for each image in the portfolio. In situations where one is submitting a photograph of another piece of art, this makes total sense. (example: sculpture is 20ft x 17ft, etc, etc, etc.) However, when it comes to photography, the expectation is less clear.

As some of my photos are actually scanned prints from a dark room, I can give specifics in size printed, paper type, and film used. But, some of my photos are digital and have therefore not been previously printed.

My questions are, for Photography Submissions:

Do I list materials and dimensions for digital work?

How about printed work?

What details should I go into/what details should I skip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

For portfolio applications and inventory sheets, the supplementary information I've always provided were what the physical dimensions and materials of the printed photograph (either digitally or in the darkroom) would be if it were being exhibited, sold, or donated (for example, Dimensions: 17.0 x 22.0 inches; Media: Archival Pigment Print/Type C Print, etc.).

Edited by E-6_Processing