Master's Programs

Hi guys! Sorry if this question has been answered before. 

Anyway, after much deliberation I've decided to only apply to master's programs this year. The problem that I'm facing is that there is virtually no info online that I can find, so I'm having a difficult time creating my list of schools to apply to. There's also little info on acceptance rates so I'm also having a hard time figuring out which are "safeties" and which are "reaches."  I've tried to cobble together what I have found on this website and it's definitely been the biggest help so far! 

Some info about me: I'm a Texas resident but would prefer to be on the East Coast. Any suggestions? This is my tentative list (does it make any sense at all?)  Georgetown, Northeastern,  University of Maryland, Villanova, University of Delaware, Upenn, UVA, Wake Forest, Texas Christian University and University of North Texas.

Thanks y'all!!

The general advice given is to apply to schools which offer funding.

Villanova, Georgetown, and Wake Forest offer funding to at least half of their students.  Syracuse, UMass-Boston and Lehigh also offer funding at the MA level.

You're also going to probably need to provide more details about what you want to do with the degree (both area of study and end goal) before anyone can give you real advice.

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

The general advice given is to apply to schools which offer funding.

Villanova, Georgetown, and Wake Forest offer funding to at least half of their students.  Syracuse, UMass-Boston and Lehigh also offer funding at the MA level.

I'll add Boston College to the list of strong MA programs that offer funding (tuition scholarships) as well as really good fellowship/assistantship opportunities.

If you search for funded MA programs on this forum, you'll find old threads that have compiled lists of funded MA programs. Some of them are no longer funded, but it would give you a good place to start in terms of thinking about other programs. If you have questions and information is not on a school's website, you can email the department and ask for more information.

I believe that UConn has a funded MA program. I think that Rutgers-Camden does as well. Rutgers-Newark waives tuition and has opportunities to apply for fellowships.

Whatever you do, don't be taken in by fancy programs that make you pay tuition for your MA. It is absolutely not worth it and, IMO, probably unethical. I personally would not recommend attending a program that doesn't provide a stipend either, as the East coast is an expensive place to live. 

On 10/20/2016 at 11:09 AM, bhr said:

You're also going to probably need to provide more details about what you want to do with the degree (both area of study and end goal) before anyone can give you real advice.

Thanks everyone! I'm not certain on which area of study I want to pursue (which is my main motivation in first pursuing a master's) but in my undergraduate studies I focused on medieval and renaissance literature. I was also drawn to Rutgers' program because it also offered a concentration in gender and sexuality studies. Does that help? 

With the M.A I plan to either go on to get my PhD or pursue an MFA. As far as I can tell, a lot of programs allow you to take creative writing classes as your elective so I'm hoping that I'll be able to better figure out my next step there. 

Thanks for the tip about funding! I've heard mixed things from my professors about that.