ENMU application

I was placed on the wait list last Spring. I applied again with the same stats (GRE scores, GPA, and SOP) and I didn't get accepted. There were several reasons listed on the letter that says denial was given for one or more reasons and none of these apply to me, so I'm not sure why I didn't get accepted. I can't get an answer. Before I re-applied, I was told there wouldn't be any more on the waitlist, but I guess there is. I'm just somewhat annoyed with ENMU. It just seems like a mess. And I was originally told I would have a letter by Oct 1st. I just received the letter a few days ago (2 weeks later).

Makes no sense to me. I had a few friends that were wait listed and they were accepted at the very last minute. I mean one day before orientation. To me it sounds like they'd call the alternatives first before the wait listed. But as per ENMU they are the same. Which cohort were you accepted in? 

17 minutes ago, Renee65 said:

Well I hope you get in! Don't give up! I'd recommend retaking classes you received a C and taking a practicum if you haven't already. I am taking a grad class right now as a non degree seeking student. Keep me posted! 

Thanks. I'm trying to keep positive.

I'm looking into taking a few grad classes as a non degree seeking student within a Sociology program. Are you taking an SLP course as a non degree? Is there anything negative about taking courses as a non-degree seeking student? I can take a couple of courses and then apply them to the program once I'm accepted. It sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not too sure yet. Let me know what you think and if there is anything else I may need to know.

Edited by speechfan222

Yes I am taking a CDIS course as non degree seeking student. The grad classes are pretty tough. I'm not gonna lie. If your wanting to go towards the CDIS route I'd continue to take CDIS courses. The sociology course won't count towards your degree. I don't have nothing negative to say only if I don't get accepted that money is down the drain! The class synchronized.. so you can go to class or skype in real time. But it's totally do-able. I was honestly thinking about doing COTA program. But it doesn't make sense to work backwards. 

I was going to take sociology courses as a non degree student and then apply to MA programs in sociology. I'm pretty sure they're tough. I'm expecting that. But it will be online, so that will help. I can log into the course and complete assignments/exams by the due dates at my convenience. I'm not doing any 'live' programs.

I have a question for ya...How are you paying for the non degree courses? I was told financial aid doesn't apply and I'm not sure if I can get a grant or not, but it looks like I may have to find a way to pay for these courses. :o(

Oh wow. That's a lot!! One class in state for me looks like it will be 1,500. That's crazy! Haha. Where are you taking this class at if you don't mind me asking? That's pretty cheap compared to mine.

Keep in touch!

You haven't gotten accepted into ENMU yet? You're just taking a course as a non-degree student? How long is the course? The ones I'm looking into are 7.5 weeks each. That's a quick course for an online graduate program. It's going to be tough!

Oooh thanks. Ill check that out. Is it an online program do you know? I need a distance education program as I need to continue working full time, but I will look into it.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, topshelfprincess said:

Alternate list and wait list are the same thing. I was on the alternate list for Fall 2016 and got accepted.

When did they notify you of your acceptance? I'm kind of in a hard place because I need to retake my GRE  for the next cycle of applications, but don't want to waste 200$ if they call before classes. What do you recommend?

I got a letter about three weeks after my initial wait list letter. But some people were called in as late as the first day of orientation!

I'd take the GRE, just to be on the safe side. You're going to sink A TON of money into a grad program - $200 more is a drop in the bucket in comparison. :)