Should I Have Contacted Professors ?

gazelle

I didn't contact any professors at potential schools, since I really didn't know what or have anything in particular I wanted to say/ask that I couldn't find on the school websites. But now I'm starting to think that I should've, since it seems like these professors often really do remember you and put you in their favor when your application comes across, should they be on an adcom. Is it still too late to contact professors? What should I say?

I don't know what is customary for other programs, but the first thing I did before applying to a certain school was make sure that a certain professor was accepting students. I am doing social psychology so I am pretty much looking for a mentor, but I would think that a simple email expressing interest could help. If anything it will help them remember your name when they are looking through stacks of applications...

I was going to make a separate thread in the 'Waiting it Out' section but I suppose here is a good place to pose my question as well.

I've contacted several professors at a university and one of them said he is looking forward to reading my writing sample and I've somewhat established meaningful contact with another. (Written back and forth a few times, asked about her research, asked questions about it, etc.) How important is this? Does it really have an effect on admissions?

I'm going to tell you guys what a potential advisor told me on the phone three days ago. I applied to a program, but because it's not particularly high on my list I never emailed any of the professors there. A few days ago, I started to receive emails from two potential advisors at that school (both of whom are in my sub-field) who have been telling me that they think I'm the best fit of the top applicants and that they are "really enthused by the prospect" of my joining their department. One of them called me three days ago, and mentioned something about me never contacting him prior to applying. I apologized, even though I didn't have a good excuse for not doing so, but he quickly said, "hey, it works both ways, we have students like you who never contact us prior to applying but turn out to be perfect for our program, and then we have people who have been emailing us since this summer and judging by their application are not going to get it."

I'm going to tell you guys what a potential advisor told me on the phone three days ago. I applied to a program, but because it's not particularly high on my list I never emailed any of the professors there. A few days ago, I started to receive emails from two potential advisors at that school (both of whom are in my sub-field) who have been telling me that they think I'm the best fit of the top applicants and that they are "really enthused by the prospect" of my joining their department. One of them called me three days ago, and mentioned something about me never contacting him prior to applying. I apologized, even though I didn't have a good excuse for not doing so, but he quickly said, "hey, it works both ways, we have students like you who never contact us prior to applying but turn out to be perfect for our program, and then we have people who have been emailing us since this summer and judging by their application are not going to get it."

But is that based on fit or on bad grades or what? The people whom I've contacted are at a school where I have a perfect fit and I am above the cut-off for sure.

I don't know what he based that statement on, and I of course didn't ask what's wrong with those applicants. To be honest with you, I don't see myself as a perfect fit for this department as they claim. The professor who called me doesn't even work on the same century as I'm interested in, much less my specific sub-topics! It's hard to explain this, but I just wanted to tell you guys not to overemphasize pre-application contact with professors. It's important, but it's not a deal breaker or maker.

But is it too late to come up with some kind of contact to throw your name out there now that applications are submitted and being prepared for committee reviewal?

Depends on when applications were due. I recently contacted a different professor at a school and we spoke for a while. I don't think it's too late until you receive a rejection letter. The sooner the better, though.

Depends on when applications were due. I recently contacted a different professor at a school and we spoke for a while. I don't think it's too late until you receive a rejection letter. The sooner the better, though.

One was due January 5th, and the other is due January 15th...however, all my applications have been submitted.

I'm not really sure what I would/could even say at this point though...perhaps this was a futile thread.

One was due January 5th, and the other is due January 15th...however, all my applications have been submitted.

I'm not really sure what I would/could even say at this point though...perhaps this was a futile thread.

Since I would be working with the person I just said that I am interested in working with them. It doesn't have to be anything amazing. You just want to get your name in their heads. It can't hurt. I turned my third choice into a safety school because the profs were so positive and insistent that I apply after showing them my vita and discussing a few bad points in my app.

It depends on the discipline. It's actually not that common in linguistics, solairne. It surely can't hurt you, though, and I agree that it's not too late until you get an admissions decision. So if you're worried about it, why not go ahead and make contact?