Chances for MDiv/MSW Programs

CharlieP123

Hello all! I am wondering if someone can help me out by giving me a better idea of my chances with a few programs. I am finding it difficult to find helpful information about grad programs. So if anyone has a better idea that would be helpful! I just graduated in May from St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. In college I studied Social Work and Religion. This year I am participating in a gap year program called Lutheran Volunteer Corps, where I live in community with other volunteers and work as a social worker at a homeless shelter. I graduated with a 3.72 GPA. I am hoping to pursue MDiv and MSW dual degree programs, specifically Yale Divinity/UConn, Princeton/Rutgers, and Chicago Theological Seminary/UChicago. I am hoping to pursue ordained ministry in the UCC in the future. Does anyone have any idea about my chances for these programs, especially the Seminaries/Div Schools I'm looking at? I'm wondering if my GPA is adequate for Ivy League seminaries. Thank you for the time! 

I wouldn't stress too much. While I can't speak to the dual degree program specifically, your GPA and resume (always glad to see another AmeriCorps alum on here!) sound like they would be perfectly acceptable for the seminaries you listed (although I'm certainly not an admissions committee and can't guarantee it- just saying that according to those couple general specs, you sound like you may be able to put together a compelling application, broadly speaking).

It has been said in other threads on this forum- acceptance rates for even those seminaries you listed may be as high as 40 or 50% for MDiv programs in some years. If it helps assuage your fears, I can tell you that I was recently accepted to a Master's program at one of those very seminaries you listed with a lower overall GPA than yours. During a visit to that seminary several months ago, my interviewer told me to remember as I put together my application that each component matters to the committee- your recommendations, your writing sample, your goals, and yes- your grades. Your grades sound fine; I would just try to make sure that you feel confident in the other elements of your apps. 

3 hours ago, CharlieP123 said:

Hello all! I am wondering if someone can help me out by giving me a better idea of my chances with a few programs. I am finding it difficult to find helpful information about grad programs. So if anyone has a better idea that would be helpful! I just graduated in May from St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. In college I studied Social Work and Religion. This year I am participating in a gap year program called Lutheran Volunteer Corps, where I live in community with other volunteers and work as a social worker at a homeless shelter. I graduated with a 3.72 GPA. I am hoping to pursue MDiv and MSW dual degree programs, specifically Yale Divinity/UConn, Princeton/Rutgers, and Chicago Theological Seminary/UChicago. I am hoping to pursue ordained ministry in the UCC in the future. Does anyone have any idea about my chances for these programs, especially the Seminaries/Div Schools I'm looking at? I'm wondering if my GPA is adequate for Ivy League seminaries. Thank you for the time! 

You'll probably be accepted to most of the M.Div programs you mentioned barring anything unforeseen. I'm not sure how the MSW acceptances work at all these schools. At mine (Princeton Seminary), students apply for the dual degree during their Middler year and most get in. 

Another one to look at the M.Div/MSW program offered at Union Seminary/Columbia University.