Emailing to 2 professors in one department

gmr

For PhD in psychology, I had some correspondence with one POI who encouraged me to apply. But I need to mention another professor's name in my application package and SOP. Of course I can choose one with fit research interests from the departmental website. But, does it have a bad look if I talk with the first POI to see which professor he will suggest? Should I email to the second professor too? 

Edited by gmr

Hey @gmr,

I spoke to my thesis supervisor about this a few weeks ago! He said that it's completely okay to contact more than one professor, but if you have to list them, you run the risk of the professors noticing that... However, if they really want a student, they'll take a look anyways! He said that he always looks at those who rate him second or third. That may just be a "him" thing because he is awesome and everything, not that I am biased or anything, but I think that in the name of increasing your chances, you should go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2016 at 9:17 PM, Jessica_PhDwannabe said:

Hey @gmr,

I spoke to my thesis supervisor about this a few weeks ago! He said that it's completely okay to contact more than one professor, but if you have to list them, you run the risk of the professors noticing that... However, if they really want a student, they'll take a look anyways! He said that he always looks at those who rate him second or third. That may just be a "him" thing because he is awesome and everything, not that I am biased or anything, but I think that in the name of increasing your chances, you should go for it.

Along that line, do you think it would look bad if I list a professor (I need to pick my top three) without having contacted them? 

I definitely wouldn't ask the first POI to suggest someone. You could ask them who they collaborate often with, but I don't think it'll reflect positively on you to ask who else to list. 

Edited by artsy16