LORs: Should I request a 4th?

Hello everyone,

I have been successful at asking and obtaining 3 letters of rec, all from professors.  Two of my LORs are CSD professors, and other is a biology professor whose class I participated well in (and I tend to be more on the quiet side).  Would it be a bad idea to ask for a 4th one from my boss?  I'm assured that this would be a positive letter.  Also, I feel like it would eliminate the anxiety I have about what would happen if one of the professors I asked didn't turn in the letter on time.

Also, what is the best professor deadline for CSDCAS (all of my applications will be submitted through here)?  I currently have mine set for exactly a month before my first deadline (January 1st).  Can professors still submit after the deadline I chose?

I don't think a 4th LOR would be a bad idea. As you said, it's always best to have an extra one just in case you aren't able to get 3 from the other recommenders.

I only submitted the required LOR's needed for each application, but I have a few extras just in case. I did get one from my boss as well. I figured it would be a good idea.

I noticed you're applying to SLP programs. I'm applying to the same as well. Which programs are you applying to?

15 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

I don't think a 4th LOR would be a bad idea. As you said, it's always best to have an extra one just in case you aren't able to get 3 from the other recommenders.

I only submitted the required LOR's needed for each application, but I have a few extras just in case. I did get one from my boss as well. I figured it would be a good idea.

I noticed you're applying to SLP programs. I'm applying to the same as well. Which programs are you applying to?

I think I may request the 4th letter, in this case.  I know most programs prefer professor LORs, and hopefully I'll have three, but worst case scenario I'm sure at least two of them will turn in the letters.  However, I have a good reputation at work, so I feel that this letter would likely be very positive too, and perhaps a bit more personal since I've been at my job for over a year.

But I will be applying to mostly to grad schools in my home state, Ohio; these include Baldwin-Wallace, BGSU, CSU, Akron, and Ohio University.  If I have my materials done early enough, I may also apply to Toledo.  I will also be applying to Marshall University, St. Mary's, and West Virginia U.  Where are you applying?

Keep in mind that the 5 slots for references are to allow you to apply to schools that have conflicting reference requirements (ie. school A wants an SLP, a professor, and a work supervisor and school B wants an SLP, a professor, and an advisor). There aren't any schools who actually ask for more than 3 and the chances of them reading more letters than they absolutely have to is slim to none - remember they are reviewing hundreds of apps! Before going for letter #4, you may want to make sure you have covered your bases in reference requirements, especially if all three of your letters are from professors currently.

Edited by Allegro8032

5 hours ago, kaylam3 said:

I think I may request the 4th letter, in this case.  I know most programs prefer professor LORs, and hopefully I'll have three, but worst case scenario I'm sure at least two of them will turn in the letters.  However, I have a good reputation at work, so I feel that this letter would likely be very positive too, and perhaps a bit more personal since I've been at my job for over a year.

But I will be applying to mostly to grad schools in my home state, Ohio; these include Baldwin-Wallace, BGSU, CSU, Akron, and Ohio University.  If I have my materials done early enough, I may also apply to Toledo.  I will also be applying to Marshall University, St. Mary's, and West Virginia U.  Where are you applying?

I already applied to TSU and ENMU. I'm only applying to schools with an online option, so I'm kind of limited to the amount available. I'm working on submitting more applications in another field. I'm hoping to get accepted soon. I'm SO tired of working on applications, paying all of the crazy fees, and waiting for responses. Ready to be done!

7 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

I already applied to TSU and ENMU. I'm only applying to schools with an online option, so I'm kind of limited to the amount available. I'm working on submitting more applications in another field. I'm hoping to get accepted soon. I'm SO tired of working on applications, paying all of the crazy fees, and waiting for responses. Ready to be done!

I believe it!  It's stressful, and I'm just getting started.

Good luck with your applications!