MSW-- How much debt is too much?

CCD2016

Hello all, 

I am currently serving a year in AmeriCorps VISTA and am starting the graduation app. season strong. While I just finished up my first app, I guess in the preliminary periods  of researching programs I didn't consider the full gravity of tuition rates. I am not applying to many programs that provide a lot of assistantships, etc. and none in my home state (my home state is quite expensive, anyway). I have zero undergrad debt and will get a $5.3k education award from AmeriCorps when I finish. How much debt for an MSW aspiring to work in hospital/health social work seems justifiable? I have heard of the "not more than a year salary" rule, but that seems like it would really limit options for MSW students.... because initial salaries can start low and it's not like the high end is particularly high to begin with. If I was hovering around 40k, how quickly should I say no, etc. 

Thanks, y'all. 

Edited by CCD2016

The "how much is too much" question is one only you can answer, but I would play around with some loan calculators to get a sense of how that loan actually translates to impact on your life. E.g. 40k borrowed over two years accruing interest at 6% means you borrow about 45k. 45k at 6% means you pay 500 a month for 10 years to pay it off, and end up paying 15k in interest. here is the website: http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/loanpayments.cgi

another option might be to plan on working for the federal government in a capacity that offers loan forgiveness after a period of service (10 years I think)

good luck, I hope this helps a little.

Edited by Quickmick

I am going through the same struggle! I have applied at USC and WOW at how much money it will cost me?But I was told anyone going into public service i.e., social work, that the loan forgiveness may apply. As you stated, social workers don't make enough to pay for the education it cost to become a social worker lol!! 

Good luck!! 

• 1 month later...

Like others have said, how much is too much is up for you to decide, but you might qualify for loans/grants from the fed and depending on the school you might get a good financial aid package. For me, the MPH/MSW programs I've applied to will run me anywhere from ~50 to 100k without any assistance and these won't be terminal degrees for me either. If you're planning on ending with the MSW then more debt won't be as big of an issue because you won't be accumulating as much in interest than someone who goes on to PhD for 5-7 years. 

• 5 weeks later...

Something I heard long ago made a lot of sense to me... you shouldn't have student loans costing more than what you make yearly in a salary. This can obviously be impacted by if you are instate or out of state, but sticking to this principal will help keep loans manageable. I graduated my undergrad with $46k in student loans and ive been paying them about 3.5 years, and my one year masters program will likely cost about $11k. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2016 at 9:35 PM, CCD2016 said:

Hello all, 

I am currently serving a year in AmeriCorps VISTA and am starting the graduation app. season strong. While I just finished up my first app, I guess in the preliminary periods  of researching programs I didn't consider the full gravity of tuition rates. I am not applying to many programs that provide a lot of assistantships, etc. and none in my home state (my home state is quite expensive, anyway). I have zero undergrad debt and will get a $5.3k education award from AmeriCorps when I finish. How much debt for an MSW aspiring to work in hospital/health social work seems justifiable? I have heard of the "not more than a year salary" rule, but that seems like it would really limit options for MSW students.... because initial salaries can start low and it's not like the high end is particularly high to begin with. If I was hovering around 40k, how quickly should I say no, etc. 

Thanks, y'all. 

Hi! If you still get this notification, could you tell me more about AmeriCorps? Thanks!