What are my chances of admission?

Ronix137

I'm applying to the MBA program at the University of North Florida for next semester (Spring 2017). As you'll see bellow, I don't meet their minimum requirements, however I am not off by much.

They only look at applications who are below their requirements on a case by case basis and require a SOP and 2 LOR's

What do y'all think my chances are for admission?

UNF GPA / GMAT Requirements for Graduate School

GPA = 3.00 in last 60 credit hours

GMAT = 470 minimum

Combined GPA + GMAT score = 1070

My Scores

GPA = 2.92 in last 60 credit hours

GMAT = 450

Combined GPA + GMAT score = 1034

Disadvantages

My scores dont meet their minimum requirement

I was suspended a semester due to the poor GPA during my first two semesters at UNF

I used 5 withdrawals and two grade forgivenesses for my first two semesters at UNF

The popularity of the MBA program has grown dramatically in the last year

Advantages

I'm getting my bachelors degree from the same university that im applying to (I heard that helps)

They don't have a limit on the number of people they accept

Most of the C's that I earned were in early 3000 level classes that are generally viewed as easy classes by students and faculty

Since they look at only the past 60 credit hours, my GPA after this semester would be 3.15 (since my early C's would not be included)

Most of the high A's and B's that I earned were in classes that are viewed by students and staff as the hardest classes for business majors

My two letters of recommendation are from professors that taught some of the hardest courses that I earned A's in (Also took multiple classes with both professors)

My family owns a large business that I'll eventually run, which gives UNF good reason to believe I would be a successful alumni

I have a Private Pilots License on my resume, which will make it stand out more

I can not comment on everything, but I can tell you that im my experience, grad schools do not like alumni for some reason. I got denied, flat out denied, to my alma mater which is an extremely uncompetitive program. They did not like that I got my bachelors there.

I am not sure what it is like for other schools, but just some food for thought.

16 hours ago, Sandmaster said:

I can not comment on everything, but I can tell you that im my experience, grad schools do not like alumni for some reason. I got denied, flat out denied, to my alma mater which is an extremely uncompetitive program. They did not like that I got my bachelors there.

I am not sure what it is like for other schools, but just some food for thought.

My undergraduate institution was the opposite. Nevertheless, I think what you said is generally true. From what I heard from people, they are looking for intellectual diversity. They don't want departments to become "inbred." You've already learned the perspectives of the department during undergrad. As a graduate student, you should travel elsewhere and learn from a department with new perspectives. I'm not saying this is always correct, but it is what I was told. Specifically, many think it is ideal to learn from different "regions" of the country. I think that is somewhat of a generalization of finding intellectual diversity... I think in specific cases you can distinguish schools better than that.

Nevertheless, I do believe that it comes down to intellectual diversity and expanding your (and the department's) horizons.