Aero Applicants Fall 2017

Kalman

@Kalman

Mine is Vibrations and Control theory including finite element and continuum vibrations. I am mechanical engineering MSc student but i also apply for Aerospace or Civil Engineering as these topics are mutual. How is your profile? (GPA,GRE etc.)

My stats:

Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering from a medium-size Latin American university 
GPA: 3.78

GRE: Q - 167   V - 160  AW - 5.0

TOEFL: 116

Research experience: 1 year reseach project on aeroelasticity. 1 publication in international conference

Work experience: 2 summer internships in small companie, nothing special

Amazing. I feel inferior when i see the guys' profiles here :D 

What do you think about my profile?

Let me ask you a question about my profile. 

School: Turkey (Top 5 University)

GRE: Q:167 V:152 AW=4.5

Toefl:90 IBT

GPA: BSc 2.68/4 MsC:3.79/4

Job Experience: 2.5 Years R&D Engineer in Industry.

Paper: Only 3 Conference paper (One co-author, one belongs only me and the other 1st author)

I dont think to apply top universities. I will apply North Caroline, Virginia Tech, University of Houston, Rutgerts University

What do you think about my chance?

@mteng, what stands out in your profile is your research experience. Your GRE score is good. However, your BSc GPA is very low for American standards. You'll need a very strong SoP and LORs to make up for the low GPA. Aside from that, I think yoour school choice is adequate and you have good chances of admission

@Kalman yes you are right about my low BSc. The basic courses like Physics 1-2, Chemistry etc. destroyed my BSc GPA but even in that low transcript, the courses about control and vibrations are good .Also, I keep MSc about same area and i will apply for PhD in same area,too. My research experience is over industry. Testing and evaluation engineering in automotive and defense industry (including test set-up,Using sensors (accelerometers,load cell etc.) data acquistion, interpreting reports. When will you start to apply? 

@kalmah Good to meet more people applying for Aero! Especially from south america! (I'm from Colombia). In my case, I'm going for aerodynamics/gas dynamics, and I'm applying to Gatech, U. of Maryland, U. of Michigan, Texas A&M, Illinois, Purdue, U. of Washington, and UT Austin. I should finish with my applications in the next weeks, I'm just waiting to hear from some professors with who I wish to work with. 

Major - Double Major in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

Undergraduate University - University of Texas at Arlington

Undergraduate GPA 3.77 (on a scale of 4.0)

Undergraduate Projects - Chief Engineer for both aerospace and mechanical senior design projects

Research - Worked as undergraduate research assistant at a laboratory in the MAE department for >1year (on sensors and electronics) + teaching assistant for a laboratory and a freshman level course on engineering (two semesters)

Work Experience - Student intern-research assistant at University of North Texas (May 2016 - ongoing)

Research Interest - Low and High Speed Aerodynamics | Computational Fluid Dynamics 

GRE Scores - Q 163, V 154, AWA 4 (not the strongest point on my application)

Letters of Recommendation - One from undergraduate advisor, one from research supervisor, and one from laboratory director 

Others - President of an engineering organization, attended two national conferences representing the university, presented aerospace senior design project at a symposium

Applying to - UT (Austin), Texas A&M, U. of Washington, U. of Maryland (College Park), U. of Michigan (Ann Arbor), Georgia Tech, Purdue University, U. of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)

That pretty much summarizes everything. 

Edited by luisalasnjr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 4:20 PM, pvfm said:

Today I received my acceptance to Georgia Tech!!! I am so excited! No information on funding yet

Congratulations! I haven't heard back from GA Tech yet.

Hi everyone:)

Materials Engineering BS applied to AAE programs at MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Michigan and Purdue. Multiple journal publications and national/international conference presentations. Internships with NASA, Lockheed Martin Aero, and SkunkWorks. I'm hoping to do a Master's in aero with a focus in structures and materials. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Admittedly there is a pretty small pool of universities with an aerospace program worldwide, but it seems like everyone here is only interested in the same 10 schools... Did anyone apply to UTIAS? It has a high ranking, but I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

On 21/1/2017 at 2:18 PM, latticeB said:

Admittedly there is a pretty small pool of universities with an aerospace program worldwide, but it seems like everyone here is only interested in the same 10 schools... Did anyone apply to UTIAS? It has a high ranking, but I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

I actually considered it, but for personal reasons I decided to stay in the US. Do you go there? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to@Kalman and the rest
Prospective MS/PhD applicant here for Fall 17. Specialization: Aerodynamics 

@pvfm Congrats on the GA tech acceptance. That is SO early. They must have really liked you! :D

Any word on funding yet?

I've applied to TU Delft (accepted), Gerogia Tech, Univ. of Minnesota, UIUC, UTIAS, UMD College Park and a few more.

Has anybody else heard back from any other school? I'm so nervous! :(

On contacting UMN, I was told that all decisions will be sent out by 2nd week of Feb.

@latticeB Heard back from UTIAS yet? I applied for the M.A.Sc.

Edited by ak547

@ak547 Good to hear from you, especially as we seem to be going for the same specialization and we have applied to similar universities. I haven't heard from any university yet, but when I contacted the grad advisors they told me the wouldn't send decisions until late feb even late march, so I still have my hopes up.