DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship

pterosaur

Last year there were only 2 people who posted results on the survey here, but this year there are at 6 so far. Random chance, more engagement, or more applicants this year?

I also enjoy the rejection comment: "Darn you Rick Perry."

That comment made me chuckle as well, haha.  I think the reason for less engagement last year is due to Krell being on top of their funding game, and releasing all of the decisions early.  As it currently stands, that's not the case this year, hence the delay...

The past couple of days have been quiet, and now we have to wait until next week.  That being said, I still doubt that those of us who haven't heard anything yet are necessarily on the waitlist/honorable mention, because this thread is still actively viewed (>100 views just today).  This leads me to believe there is still a big chunk of us (too big for waitlist) being left out behind the iron curtain by Krell.

To pass the time, it might be nice, for those who are waiting, to share their field of research.  This can give some insight of whether or not Krell is giving out decisions by category/field. (I am doing Astronomy)

Same here, dead silent.  It seems from last years that they did send out waitlist notifications before the responses were due.  Since we haven't received anything, I am lost of where we stand (another wave of calls/letters coming? waitlist? our apps were eaten by a wild animal?)...guess we just have to wait and see.

Yeah I don't know what's going on then. I almost want to contact them if I don't hear anything by the end of this week, although I always feel bad doing that since there's probably a ton of people in the same position that we are. Another honorable mention would be par for the course given my other fellowship applications this year :-P

I just called them, which shed some light on the situation.  Krell doesn't typically send out waitlist notification (though they do sometimes), hence that's the position we might be in.  In addition, I was told that they are working on getting the rest of the notifications out right now, and should finalize everything by this Friday.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"

23 hours ago, Platobob said:

I just called them, which shed some light on the situation.  Krell doesn't typically send out waitlist notification (though they do sometimes), hence that's the position we might be in.  In addition, I was told that they are working on getting the rest of the notifications out right now, and should finalize everything by this Friday.

You're the best, Platobob! Looks like they're going to make us wait until the very end, unless we hear something in the next 30 minutes or so.

On 4/12/2017 at 6:05 PM, Platobob said:

Wow, sounds like today's the day then! Good luck everyone! Really hope they do get back to us today; I'm not sure I would be able to survive the weekend if they don't! However, at this point I'm not super optimistic since we are being notified after the deadline of the people from the first wave of acceptances, and I can't imagine anyone would turn down such a great fellowship.

Surprisingly, I did meet a guy who got both CSGF and NNSA fellowships last year, and chose to go with NNSA, freeing up a CSGF spot.  However, I think the main purpose of a waitlist is not to see if anybody rejects, but rather in case more funding will become available (they have done it in the past).  All in all, they wouldn't just keep us in the dark for 1.5 weeks for nothing :)

In either case, ~3 hrs left.  Good luck, comrades!

Welp, I guess they miscalculated when they told me they would be done by this Friday... On the positive side, that would probably mean they are trying to figure out their funding to offer more awards.  Now, considering Easter, we might not hear until Tuesday.  Let's try to have some peace of mind and enjoy the weekend!

Looks like another Honorable Mention; I received an email this morning saying "We were very impressed with your credentials and saw much promise in your application, and we strongly encourage you to reapply next year provided you remain eligible." Unfortunately, I'm already a first-year grad student, so this was my last shot.

Congrats to all the winners!

4 hours ago, flying_sloths said:

Looks like another Honorable Mention; I received an email this morning saying "We were very impressed with your credentials and saw much promise in your application, and we strongly encourage you to reapply next year provided you remain eligible." Unfortunately, I'm already a first-year grad student, so this was my last shot.

Congrats to all the winners!

I got this message today too.. guess I will try again next year

Similar here; they did say that I should put HM on my CV.  In addition, there is an explicit note that I am on the waitlist, in case more funding shall become available.  Did you guys get the note about the waitlist as well?

I am 1st year grad, hence won't be able to reapply :(

• 8 months later...

I'm applying as a graduating senior, and I am creating my project and methods. Since I'm proposing to create an innovative computational package for my discipline, but I don't have all the skills to sit down and "do it" yet (that's the point of this, right? we have the program of study for a reason), I am sort of pulling together my justification for need of HPC and maths from papers to be as specific as I can.

Is it typical to provide citations here? I would feel a lot more at ease if I could refer to the papers I use. I'm thinking of citing papers mid-text in the 2500 character prompts, and then including the bibliography in the "Additional Comments".

Is this crazy or a good idea?

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about applying to the 2018 batch of this fellowship. I'm a first year PhD student at a state university (Ohio State University), but I have an MS degree from the University of Chicago and have gone for internships at UW-Madison and ETH-Zurich. My GPA is around 3.5. On the one hand I feel like applying, but on the other hand I feel like I don't stand a chance (it seems like most recipients are enrolled in higher-tier institutions). I know no one can tell me whether I would be awarded or not, but I was wondering if you could shed some light on what you honestly think my chances are...

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about applying to the 2018 batch of this fellowship. I'm a first year PhD student at a state university (Ohio State University), but I have an MS degree from the University of Chicago and have gone for internships at UW-Madison and ETH-Zurich. My GPA is around 3.5. On the one hand I feel like applying, but on the other hand I feel like I don't stand a chance (it seems like most recipients are enrolled in higher-tier institutions). I know no one can tell me whether I would be awarded or not, but I was wondering if you could shed some light on what you honestly think my chances are...

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!