DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship

pterosaur

Realistically speaking, rejections weren't sent. There are far too many people that get rejected for nothing to appear in the forum or the results section. And in the past it seems they have called winners, sent mass rejections, and then accepted some more winners from the waitlist (presumably when some of the people offered awards decline for other fellowships). It's just a matter of where we are in the timeline - are there more calls left to be had. 

We should remember that the results section is run on an honor code, so we don't know the actual status of any notifications.  It is best to wait for secondary validation before jumping to any conclusions that notifications have been sent out.

On that note, I also have not heard back from Krell :)

Edited by WaveFanatic
Autocorrect!

Yea...and judging from the views this thread is getting (more than doubled in the last week), there are a lot of people waiting...

I wonder if proposed DOE budget cuts under new administration (esp for scientific computing) have anything to do with this delay >_<

Yeah, I'm wondering if politics plays any role this year. I remember two years ago they only had like 7 fellows because of budget issues. As was already mentioned in this thread, last year was their biggest year and there has been reference to funding maybe being a but more stabilized going forward. 

I don't think the current administration could directly influence funding for this year's class since that's probably already allocated, but it's within the realm of possibility that Krell recognizes budget cuts are likely coming and would want to have a smaller class size this year to distribute some of that money over the next few years. Completely speculation though. I have no clue what is possible or not possible with regards to their funding and the political climate. 

They told us last summer that the funding was restructured after the fears of a couple years ago. Now, instead of the money being allocated year-by-year, they put it all in the budget "up front" so when they select a class of fellows, their funding is already in the bank account for all 4 years of funding.

Also, when there was the concern about the CSGF being eliminated, apparently a lot of higher-ups in the DOE went to bat for it, which suggests whey're quite motivated to keep it around.

Thanks for sharing! As a fellow engineer, I too noticed that our acceptance rate is a bit below the (already rather low) average, at least in terms of the old data. Hopefully the number of awards doesn't drop back down this year! 

Now to keep anxiously picking up my phone. I've had a surprising number of spam calls from "Dell tech support" -_- not helping! 

I got two spam phone calls today and nearly had a heart attack when each one came in. Looks like someone reported a rejection so hopefully not receiving one of those today is a good sign...

I heard back today - there are notifications being sent out. Good luck everyone! 

Edited by X94

I haven't heard anything either.  I think it is too early to say if we are on the waitlist or not.  We certainly weren't rejected in the waves of rejection letters of the past few days, which is a good thing.  Krell also showed that they don't do all acceptance calls in one day, hence more might be coming.  I am wondering if they roll out decisions based on category/field....in either case, I would give them at least until the end of Friday >_<

1 hour ago, Platobob said:

I haven't heard anything either.  I think it is too early to say if we are on the waitlist or not.  We certainly weren't rejected in the waves of rejection letters of the past few days, which is a good thing.  Krell also showed that they don't do all acceptance calls in one day, hence more might be coming.  I am wondering if they roll out decisions based on category/field....in either case, I would give them at least until the end of Friday >_<

That would make sense if they did it by field. Anyone from engineering heard back yet?

Also, it seems like a low percentage of people have been reporting rejections this year. If they release results by field, then maybe that means they are giving out a lot of awards this year and our chances are higher than usual?

Edited by EllipticPDE