Alright guys,

I'm just finishing up my application for a PhD program (at 5 am on December 1st, because I'm the worst), and I'm having a problem. So, three days ago I was on the application site and I saw that they want a writing sample that's 20-25 pages. I was kind of blindsided by this, because I had compiled a list of the programs I was applying to and all of their deadlines and application specifics. Well for this program, I had 15-20 pages down. My writing sample was only about 13 and a half pages, and I knew I'd have to buff it up. I was just planning on adding in a conclusion and fluffing out a few paragraphs. Suddenly, I had to 'fluff' 6 new pages. I wasn't able to do it. So, I am going to submit it with just the 15 (14 and a half). Do you think this is an automatic rejection? Should I email them and explain? (I think that's a bad idea, but if it helps, I'd consider it)

Hope your applications are going well and you didn't screw up like I did.

You could have emailed or called them before! I really think nobody should feel weird about asking any question to the Graduate/Admissions Offices. That's what they are "for" (sorry for speaking of them like this). Some are extra kind and will give you their cellphone number (yes), others will be cold and brief. But they help and answer whatever questions you have. Call in, email in. Better safe than sorry is the most accurate expression there is for grad applications!

This is only personal opinion, but I don't think it's automatic rejection. Definitely contact the office, if you're worried or want to check, but there's probably only so much you can do, before deadline. I think most MA/PhD programs are looking at the quality of your research, and they're likely aware that 15-20 is the typical requirements. I'd shoot for as close to 20 as possible, personally, but...my writing sample was only 16, so...{shrug} (My programs were weird: most wanted the 15-20, but one wanted 20-25, and ONE wanted no MORE than 15...so that was weird. :D ;-) ) You just do your best, as lame as that sounds. I'm aware of how incredibly zen/"Comme ci, comme ça" I am this application cycle, compared to my last cycle. But...{shrug} it'll be what it'll be.