Hertie School MPP

Hey @Zoe123 could you share with us when you applied and when you got your answer?

I went to visit the Hertie school and they told me that the "pot" is not empty at all. There should still be fair chances to get financial aid. 

@nahuja32 it is definitely an advantage to apply early (Feb 1.) though. They did say that but it's not like they have to financial aid for applicants after that priority date.

Hey! Congratulations to all of you that are joining the 2019 class, and good luck to those that are still making up their minds. 

Since we are already a few, what about we start introducing us? I guess we can tell a bit of ourselves to help us all to have an idea of how our class will look like. 

I'm Pedro Pablo, but most of my friends call me Pepe. I'm from Santiago de Chile, where I live, and I expect to be moving to Berlin in August. I don't speak German, but that's a goal I plan to achieve during my stay in Hertie. 

I'm a lawyer, though I never actually practiced. For the past three years, I've been working on trade policy at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Chile, as a delegate to APEC (www.apec.org). From this March on, however, and until I move to Berlin, I'm working at the Gender Department, that seeks to mainstream gender equality issues in foreign trade, among others. I'm keen to gender and all forms of economic inclusion and inclusive growth in general. 

To be honest, even before I knew about Hertie I first chose Berlin, and then from the pool of options, I opted for Hertie's MPP as it suits me better than all other English programs I found. Last year I visited the School and did a lot of research, and I believe it was a right choice. Now I'm very anxious to move and start my studies! Also, I've been working for the past five years (though including a sabbatical), and before that, I spent my time studying for my (sort of) bar exam and doing an internship. What I'm trying to say is that the last time I attended a class macbooks were not that common (and iphones worked only with wifi), which makes me want to start the program soon even more. I miss engaging in discussions over lunch with no work-egos involved or wearing street outfits. I don't miss not having money, but I guess I can live with that again for a couple of years. 

Nice to meet you all!
Pepe

Hi everyone! I've been admitted to Hertie, but haven't gotten any financial aid information yet. I spent a semester in Berlin in college and would really love to come back. Also very interested in comparing EU and US. However, my concern is that they won't have enough professors focused on poverty and welfare (my main topic of interest). What do y'all think?

3 hours ago, emilyf413 said:

Hi everyone! I've been admitted to Hertie, but haven't gotten any financial aid information yet. I spent a semester in Berlin in college and would really love to come back. Also very interested in comparing EU and US. However, my concern is that they won't have enough professors focused on poverty and welfare (my main topic of interest). What do y'all think?

hi emily,

congratulations on yr admissions to Hertie. I hope the FinAid works out for you and you can return to Berlin for yr MSc. With regards to yr interests in poverty and welfare, hertie does not have a poverty expert in its faculty. There are some minor Hertie publications on pension finance, health inequality and welfare state, the closest topic to welfare. Hertie's 3 research clusters and 5 research centers do not cover poverty & welfare as core.

Incidentally Hertie's narrow focus was my main concern for my interests.

1 hour ago, CakeTea said:

hi emily,

congratulations on yr admissions to Hertie. I hope the FinAid works out for you and you can return to Berlin for yr MSc. With regards to yr interests in poverty and welfare, hertie does not have a poverty expert in its faculty. There are some minor Hertie publications on pension finance, health inequality and welfare state, the closest topic to welfare. Hertie's 3 research clusters and 5 research centers do not cover poverty & welfare as core.

Incidentally Hertie's narrow focus was my main concern for my interests.

Thanks CakeTea! Out of curiosity, what are your interests? The narrow focus is a big concern for me :/

Edited by emilyf413

17 hours ago, emilyf413 said:

Thanks CakeTea! Out of curiosity, what are your interests? The narrow focus is a big concern for me :/

You are welcome, Emily. My interests are not so mainstream within MPP. Local Economic Development, Innovation, Policy Analysis

Hi everyone! Lovely to read you all and happy to see most have been admitted :) I just sent my application to Hertie yesterday and am now waiting to see what they say. I'm guessing it should take them about 2-3 weeks to reply? How long was it for you? I'm really hoping it is a positive reply.

I do have a doubt though, when applying I did not fill the financial information( I only said "yes"  to the question about whether I would be applying for Hertie Scholarships) since I thought that was an optional question. Do you think that could affect my chances of being selected?

Have a great day!

@Anne Miller it really depends on who is in charge of your application. Some wait 1 week, some 2 months. Nobody really understands the process. About your second question, I doubt that it will affect your admission. 

Hope it's as nice and sunny over there as it was here today :)

Edited by MelodyBloom

1 hour ago, MelodyBloom said:

@Anne Miller it really depends on who is in charge of your application. Some wait 1 week, some 2 months. Nobody really understands the process. About your second question, I doubt that it will affect your admission. 

Hope it's as nice and sunny over there as it was here today :)

Dearest Melody, thank you for replying! I hope they don't take too long but I can wait 2 months I think, as long as I keep having as much work as I do now. Not nice and sunny here but hey, it's a Friday still, so I'm in a happy mood regardless.
 Are you a current MPP Applicant at Hertie? 

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :) 

• 10 months later...