UT Dallas vs. Southern Methodist University

ryanlr

Anybody has a clue?

I heard that there would be some internship/job opportunities near Dallas, because Dallas has many semiconductor manufacturers. SMU does not look like a research university. Even though I remember a paper from that school. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that there would be some internship/job opportunities near Dallas, because Dallas has many semiconductor manufacturers. SMU does not look like a research university. Even though I remember a paper from that school. :)

Between University of Texas at Dallas (UT-D) and Southern Methodist University, I would choose SMU 'cause of it reputation in the south. The institute is rank on tier 2 national universities. For me, the major ranking is not important than the institution ranking.

BTW, I have a Master degree from SMU via distance learning.

If you're prepared to do some work to find your answer:

For each prof, check how many articles they have published in respected journals. Find how many people cite their articles.

Whichever department has the better numbers, is probably more respected.

So which one is easier to get in?

On 2/7/2010 at 11:20 PM, hubris said:

SMU's campus is supposedly one of the most pricey areas in the US.

Also, known as a place for spoiled rich kids.

UT-Dallas will always be in the shadow of Austin.

That said I am not in the CS field so... ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember that for graduate study, the reputation of the department is more important than that of the university as a whole. While SMU has more brand recognition overall, for computer science or any engineering-related program, you're probably better off at UT-Dallas. From my understanding (I'm a student at nearby North Texas), engineering programs are kind of UT-Dallas's crown jewel. If you were getting a business or law degree, SMU would be the place to go. ;-)