NYU Wagner Fall 2017

FatimaM

Just received the notification that I'm in!  The letter doesn't say anything about funding...does anybody else's?  I'm wondering if this means I haven't been offered any, or if the funding decisions just haven't been released yet.  

Congratulations, @ELP14! I got in too! Don't think I can make it to the reception & admitted student day, though. Btw, did you receive any info on funding? 

I'm sorry to hear that, @baysbar94! Hope we'll both get accepted to SIPA!

No info on funding... TBH, I don't expect anything based on my stats (and unfortunately didn't apply for fellowships), but best of luck to you!

16 hours ago, Merantau said:

I didn't get any funding, so I have no idea, haha. I suggest asking the admissions office. Btw, may I know how much you're offered? 

I was offered the public service scholarship award and specified $10,000. The website says the public service scholarship is half tuition scholarship. 

Yeah, that's confusing. Did you contact the admissions office to clarify?

I just checked the tuition page http://bit.ly/2fCgUFc and it says that If you take around 15 credits per year (degree requirement: 30), it will cost you around 26k annually. 

11 hours ago, Merantau said:

Yeah, that's confusing. Did you contact the admissions office to clarify?

I just checked the tuition page http://bit.ly/2fCgUFc and it says that If you take around 15 credits per year (degree requirement: 30), it will cost you around 26k annually. 

I contacted them and they said that it was for the whole year. So $5k each semester...which does not much in the grand scheme. But I thought it was 40+ annually? And the 22k was per semester?

Ah, yeah, I guess the page refers to tuition fee per semester instead of per year. So 10k is hardly "half tuition". Do you think you can negotiate? Anyways, congratulations! You're among the few who received funding from NYU Wagner and you should be proud! :)

17 minutes ago, Merantau said:

Ah, yeah, I guess the page refers to tuition fee per semester instead of per year. So 10k is hardly "half tuition". Do you think you can negotiate? Anyways, congratulations! You're among the few who received funding from NYU Wagner and you should be proud! :)

Thank you for your kind words :) congratulations to you for the admit! Did you hear from SIPA yet? (Saw above that you applied!)

I'm not sure if I should negotiate. I've heard that I shouldn't even attempt unless I plan on accepting. Other schools are giving more money so NYU is slipping from my priority list (It used to be my top choice). I'm going to try to visit some classes though since I won't be able to attend any of the admitted student events. 

Thanks! I just received two pieces of awesome news: from SIPA and Fletcher (with 20k funding)! I think I'll decline NYU's offer of admission so I can focus on deciding between SIPA and Fletcher (and how to pay for the enormous tuition). 

Where else did you get into? It's great that you have other options with better funding!

Money does matter a lot. SIPA's my first choice, but now that Fletcher offered funding, I'm starting to love Fletcher more, haha.

14 minutes ago, Merantau said:

Thanks! I just received two pieces of awesome news: from SIPA and Fletcher (with 20k funding)! I think I'll decline NYU's offer of admission so I can focus on deciding between SIPA and Fletcher (and how to pay for the enormous tuition). 

Where else did you get into? It's great that you have other options with better funding!

Money does matter a lot. SIPA's my first choice, but now that Fletcher offered funding, I'm starting to love Fletcher more, haha.

AH! Congratulations! Two great choices.

I think I'm going to go the MPP route instead of the MPA with a policy focus. I also got into U Chicago Harris, GWU, USC Price, and Columbia SIPA. The money is drawing me away from NYC...

28 minutes ago, mpa/mpa2017 said:

AH! Congratulations! Two great choices.

I think I'm going to go the MPP route instead of the MPA with a policy focus. I also got into U Chicago Harris, GWU, USC Price, and Columbia SIPA. The money is drawing me away from NYC...

Oh my God, you got into most top programs out there! So awesome! Which one do you think you're going to? 

Did you apply to both MPA and MPP programs at these universities? Why do you prefer MPP? Is it because it's in line with your current background, or future goals? 

So I'm guessing you'll probably opt out of SIPA both because it doesn't offer MPP and sufficient funding? Studying in NYC would be ideal but it comes with a price. Sigh...