Does this application question about fellowships pertain to past fellowships or those obtained for future graduate studies?

louisamae

Question

One of my application asks, "Have you applied for or been awarded a government, foundation, or private fellowship?," following the standard "Please list any honors you have received (such as Dean’s list, placement in national competitions, etc.)."

What do you guys think?: Does the fellowships question pertain to previous fellowships awarded and completed, or those obtained for future graduate studies, to which you're now applying? I ask because as an undergraduate, I was awarded a fellowship toward my thesis research, but I'd previously been listing that under the "please list any honors" section. Now I'm a little turned around as to where I should list that information...

Thanks in advance! 

2 answers to this question

I would opt for having all the grants/fellowship information in the same place if there is an option to do so. Being fundable is extremely important in academia, and you want to do your best to demonstrate a trajectory of obtaining funding, if you can. So I'd list past, present, and future applications as an answer to the question you quoted here. If you do that, then I don't think it's necessary to list the same fellowships in the "honors" sections. That said, as long as it's somewhere on there, I don't think it matters too much where it is, so if you did something different on other applications, I don't think you need to worry.