Submit late application or incorrect document?

hector549

I'm in a bit of a quandary: I didn't realize an institution I previously attended would completely shut down their transcript request system for the holiday break. I have an application that is due Jan 1, but the transcript request system from my old institution won't be up again until Jan 3. I have submitted all other required materials, including the transcript for the institution from which I actually graduated, paid the application fee, and so on. In the system, the application is "incomplete" without my old transcript. I can either:

1. submit a PDF of "grade reports" that shows my classes/grades/GPA for all the semesters that would be on the transcript, even though the institution to which I am applying specifically forbids submitting grade reports, send in my official transcript on Jan 3, and hope that this is acceptable.

2. wait until Jan 3, attach my official transcript to the application, and hope that the fact that it's several days past the deadline and my application is still incomplete will not immediately disqualify me.

I tried emailing several relevant people at the institution to which I am applying, but with no response.

Any ideas about what I should do?? This school is my first choice!

Do the first thing. Submit the unofficial transcript by the deadline and then send your official transcript ASAP. If you are uploading a PDF for the unofficial transcript, use the annotation feature to write a very short (1-2 sentence) statement saying that this is just a temporary file until you are able to get the official transcript.

The reason I'd choose this option is because it's the same as Option #2 except that this ensures you get something submitted on time. Sure, they might refuse to accept your official transcript on Jan 3, but if this is the case, they would still refuse if you have taken Option #2. You should not expect to be able to reach people at either school since it's the holidays (all admin staff at my school are off work from Dec 23 to Jan 2 inclusive).

Finally, I know it's not what you want to hear, but you should be prepared for them to not accept your application because it is late. Most schools will probably be lenient and I hope it works out! But in case you get bad news, I find it helps me to be prepared for it.

Option 1.  

Very often the "requirements" by the graduate division are unknown to, or even completely ignored by the department.  I encountered this many times through my own experience and talking to others.  I say this to allay fears that you will be punished for this action.  I agree with Takeruk that you should add an explanation to the transcripts.  If there is no feature where you can add annotation, I would recommend that you add a page to the pdf scan of your transcripts and explain the situation about your grades.

If you want to save $: Get one set of your transcripts, scan them, and upload those to all the schools. They say they want official transcripts, but in general thats only required after they offer you admission, and you can send them at that time. That happened to me twice last year. 

1 hour ago, psm1580b said:

If you want to save $: Get one set of your transcripts, scan them, and upload those to all the schools. They say they want official transcripts, but in general thats only required after they offer you admission, and you can send them at that time. That happened to me twice last year. 

Excellent advice. Even more important when you've bounced around a bit like I have and have three undergrad transcripts! Quite expensive if you have to order one for each app.