MAT test for entrance instead of GRE

ashny

23 hours ago, ashny said:

Has anyone here taken the MAT test? How did you find it and which universities are you applying to/have applied to?

CSUN (Cal State Northridge) accepts the MAT in lieu of the GRE, or at least they did during the 2016 application season.

I did! I was able to take the MAT at my undergraduate university. I did much better on the MAT than the GRE. The only school I applied to that accepted it was Gallaudet University. 

3 hours ago, s4mm1 said:

I did! I was able to take the MAT at my undergraduate university. I did much better on the MAT than the GRE. The only school I applied to that accepted it was Gallaudet University. 

Congratulations! 

Gallaudet certainly has a list of pre-requisites to meet:

Students who do not have an undergraduate degree in any of the above listed majors must demonstrate successful completion of required courses in anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing, phonetics, acoustics or speech-and-hearing sciences, and introduction to audiology. A biological science is also required of applicants.

http://www.gallaudet.edu/hearing-speech-and-language-sciences/graduate-programs/ms-speech-language-pathology.html

Did you cover these in your CSD degree or take them as separate pre-requisites?

@ashny You can take all of those prereqs through Sacred Heart's SLP Online Prerequisite Series. It's asynchronous, meaning you have assigned work due at the end of every week but you don't have to log in at a specific time. I took my prerequisites all online, some at Sacred Heart and some through a similar program at Northwestern. I work full time so I took 2 classes per semester starting in January 2016 for a total of 6 classes. The workload was very manageable. I was worried about wasting time/money and then not getting into grad school at first too, but the classes gave me a good foundation for the field and made me feel more prepared and confident when I started my applications. It seemed like an insurmountable goal when I first started looking into it, but this last year flew by and I have zero regrets, whether I get into a school or not.

At the very least I think it would be good to take an intro to CSD class, see how you like it and make sure this is what you really want to do. Here are links to both programs I mentioned in case you're interested, though I know there are many others like it:

http://www.sacredheart.edu/academics/collegeofhealthprofessions/academicprograms/speech-languagepathology/speech-languagepathologyonlineprerequisiteseries/

http://sps.northwestern.edu/program-areas/post-baccalaureate/prespeech-pathology/

On 1/4/2017 at 10:04 PM, ashny said:

Congratulations! 

Gallaudet certainly has a list of pre-requisites to meet:

Students who do not have an undergraduate degree in any of the above listed majors must demonstrate successful completion of required courses in anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing, phonetics, acoustics or speech-and-hearing sciences, and introduction to audiology. A biological science is also required of applicants.

http://www.gallaudet.edu/hearing-speech-and-language-sciences/graduate-programs/ms-speech-language-pathology.html

Did you cover these in your CSD degree or take them as separate pre-requisites?

My undergraduate program covered all of these pre-recs 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 9:40 AM, ElKel87 said:

@ashny You can take all of those prereqs through Sacred Heart's SLP Online Prerequisite Series. It's asynchronous, meaning you have assigned work due at the end of every week but you don't have to log in at a specific time. I took my prerequisites all online, some at Sacred Heart and some through a similar program at Northwestern. I work full time so I took 2 classes per semester starting in January 2016 for a total of 6 classes. The workload was very manageable. I was worried about wasting time/money and then not getting into grad school at first too, but the classes gave me a good foundation for the field and made me feel more prepared and confident when I started my applications. It seemed like an insurmountable goal when I first started looking into it, but this last year flew by and I have zero regrets, whether I get into a school or not.

At the very least I think it would be good to take an intro to CSD class, see how you like it and make sure this is what you really want to do. Here are links to both programs I mentioned in case you're interested, though I know there are many others like it:

http://www.sacredheart.edu/academics/collegeofhealthprofessions/academicprograms/speech-languagepathology/speech-languagepathologyonlineprerequisiteseries/

http://sps.northwestern.edu/program-areas/post-baccalaureate/prespeech-pathology/

Hi, 

Sacred Heart  strongly recommends that you complete the ASHA 'pre-requisites' before taking their  pre-requisites course (see below) . I was curious if you took the ASHA subjects before the Sacred Heart online pre-requisites? Thank you.

In order to qualify for application to Master’s programs in SLP, you must also have completed five, basic science courses (at least 3 credits each course) required by ASHA:

• A course in Biological Sciences (e.g., BI 111, BI 030)
  • A course in Physical Sciences (e.g., PY 102 AO, CH 030)
  • Statistics (e.g., MA 131)
  • Two courses in Social/Behavioral Sciences (e.g., PS 110, PS 252 -required for SHU's graduate program)

We strongly recommend that students enter the SLP-OPS having completed these courses. However, it is possible to take them while you are completing the SLP-OPS. Be sure to check the specific requirements of all graduate programs you are applying for. 

@ashny I took most of the ASHA pre-requisites in undergrad quite a few years ago. I just took Biology this fall, online through Sacred Heart. I don't feel like the Sacred Heart pre-reqs would be more difficult if you haven't completed the ASHA pre-reqs yet. The ASHA requirements are more like foundational courses. 

I also wanted to add that the Northwestern courses are much more rigorous (partly because they are shorter) and I don't think they say anywhere on their site that they recommend taking those ASHA courses first. For what it's worth, they also had a much better support system than Sacred Heart. For example, they had academic advising available throughout the year if you had questions.

56 minutes ago, ElKel87 said:

@ashny I took most of the ASHA pre-requisites in undergrad quite a few years ago. I just took Biology this fall, online through Sacred Heart. I don't feel like the Sacred Heart pre-reqs would be more difficult if you haven't completed the ASHA pre-reqs yet. The ASHA requirements are more like foundational courses. 

I also wanted to add that the Northwestern courses are much more rigorous (partly because they are shorter) and I don't think they say anywhere on their site that they recommend taking those ASHA courses first. For what it's worth, they also had a much better support system than Sacred Heart. For example, they had academic advising available throughout the year if you had questions.

Thank you so much. I'm going to be exploring leveling courses/pre-requisites soon so that helps.