Top Mixed Methodology Programs

Meadows

Hello! 

I am considering applying to sociology or criminology programs for Fall 2018. One of my top goals for graduate school is to be trained in mixed methods approaches to research design. Ideally I would go to a program that has strong qualitative researchers as well as professors who could teach me how to integrate quantitative and qualitative data in data collection and analysis. Does anyone know of programs or professors with strengths in teaching these methods? Any help is appreciated. I'm starting to create a list of programs that fit my interests. 

I don't know if I really have much to add to what you already know, but I'll give it a shot.  When I think of sociology with a criminology focus, and strengths in both qualitative and quantitative methods, I think of Berkeley, Harvard, Minnesota...  Santa Barbara and San Diego are a couple of the best qualitative programs, and I'm sure they also have quantitative people, because every school does.  I can't remember if they have many criminology people though.  Just about every program is going to train you in statistics; it's a matter of whether they also have strong qualitative training.  As for specifically mixed methods courses, I don't know.  I would start by identifying faculty who are of interest, and then looking at the methods courses offered and inquiring if necessary.  Unfortunately the best way I know of to explore this is still to take the US News rankings and start clicking around departments' websites, specifically the faculty listings, graduate topic clusters, and course listings.  You can also go to the ASA sections that interest you and see who is serving on the boards, writing in the newsletters, getting the awards, etc.

I don't know sociology well enough to offer specific programs BUT I will say that you should consider whether the mixed methods person has to be in sociology or if they could be in another social science department like anthropology, geography, or political science (or maybe even psychology). If so, then you may want to see if the Graduate School offers any sort of certificate or minor in qualitative research which could complement the quantitative and statistical training you'll receive in a sociology PhD program. For an example of what I'm talking about, see this program at the University of Georgia, which offers a graduate certificate in Interdisciplinary Qualitative Studies.

Just about every top program will have excellent training in quantitative and qualitative methods, and "mixed methods." I second Illusio80's suggestion: just look for programs with scholars doing both qualitative and quantitative work. Mario Small had an excellent article on mixed methods in the Annual Review a few years back, you might want to check that out.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, Meadows said:

Hello! 

I am considering applying to sociology or criminology programs for Fall 2018. One of my top goals for graduate school is to be trained in mixed methods approaches to research design. Ideally I would go to a program that has strong qualitative researchers as well as professors who could teach me how to integrate quantitative and qualitative data in data collection and analysis. Does anyone know of programs or professors with strengths in teaching these methods? Any help is appreciated. I'm starting to create a list of programs that fit my interests. 

Mixed-methods was my goal as well as I am coming from a qualitative background and want to do more work with quantitative stuff on my next project.  Most programs have at least someone doing qualitative work (from what I found in my search).  There are some schools that do more than others but then that depends on the type of qualitative work you want to do (ethnography?).  At any rate, I agree overall with everyone above.  Just look for people who do what you are interested in doing and then apply to those places.  When it comes to the types of projects in the subarea/topic you are interested in that will be more useful than just a methodology.  I can't say that this method has worked out for me yet, but I'll let you know in a couple months...

Thank you for your advice everyone. It's very helpful to hear different perspectives. My undergraduate background is qualitative (anthropology), but most of the work I do right now is quantitative, survey research. I feel pretty strongly that not enough thought is given to how qualitative and quantitative data can be used together. It's a specific goal, but if I'm going to take the time to get a PhD then I want it to get me the things I want. Looking to see who's publishing on mixed methods in the social sciences seems like a good starting place, in addition to searching department websites for faculty. 

To @rising_star, I am considering whether other types of degrees will get me where I want to go.