Strongest Political Theory Faculty (and why)

Northwestern has a strong program in political theory. I know this because I am applying there for a PhD this fall. Mary Dietz, James Farr, Stevens, Tillery, etc. 

Dietz's work is really interested, as it spans the fields of gender and sexuality, classical political thought, and contemporary political thought. 

Yale seems to be very strong in Theory as well, with big names like Benhabib (I don't know whether she's taking any students, though).

3 hours ago, bwgvsu said:

Northwestern has a strong program in political theory. I know this because I am applying there for a PhD this fall. Mary Dietz, James Farr, Stevens, Tillery, etc.

I woudn't count on Stevens, though, because she's been involved in some trouble with other professor(s?) and last I heard she'd been banned from campus and from any contact with her students until the university finished their investigation or administrative procedures, not sure.

(I don't know exactly what happened, but I guess knowing she won't be taking any students at least in the short term might be useful)

8 minutes ago, Gik said:

I woudn't count on Stevens, though, because she's been involved in some trouble with other professor(s?) and last I heard she'd been banned from campus and from any contact with her students until the university finished their investigation or administrative procedures, not sure.

(I don't know exactly what happened, but I guess knowing she won't be taking any students at least in the short term might be useful)

Wow, I had no idea. Interesting. This makes sense, as I read an article of hers (I believe it was in the WP) criticizing higher ed funding, among other things. This article explains it....

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/09/06/northwestern-bans-professor-campus-and-faculty-members-split-whether-move-justified

Edited by bwgvsu

Just to add two other articles about Northwestern and the conflict within the department that I found helpful, adding some layers to the interpersonal dynamics at play:

http://dailynorthwestern.com/2016/09/07/campus/prof-alvin-tillery-my-issue-with-prof-stevens-wasnt-about-her-political-activism/

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2016/10/13/campus/faculty-senate-committee-finds-it-impossible-to-act-on-prof-jacqueline-stevens-appeal-of-involuntary-leave/

This being said, sounds like it has calmed down some, and I would still consider it a strong department, especially for critical theory... but this will be bubbling under the surface for some time to come.