Grad Student Social

Slothanos15

Hi everyone! I had a question about the graduate student social events to welcome us and for us to get to ask questions in a casual environment. It's such an incredibly nice thing to do and they emphasize that it will have no say on our admission decisions. I wish that I could use the experience to gather information and get to know people, but it's before my interview and I am just so anxious and really would rather just spend time relaxing the night before. But...deep down...since we know graduate students do have a say in our admissions and even have interviews with them officially, do you think it's a missed opportunity? To show you're a good fit and get along with them before the day? I don't want to miss an opportunity, but jeez I'd rather not worry about going as incredibly nice it is for them to do. 

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

I would recommend not missing it. I imagine the event will not go too late, and you could leave when you feel is appropriate, since they know you have an interview the next day. You have the possibility to get some great insight at the social in a more casual environment.

I would definitely not skip the social. It's your chance to get to know the grad students informally and you may even have conversations which are helpful for your interview and for ultimately deciding if you want to go there. Also, it looks kinda bad not to go to events that all of the other applicants will be at...

15 hours ago, Slothanos15 said:

Hi everyone! I had a question about the graduate student social events to welcome us and for us to get to ask questions in a casual environment. It's such an incredibly nice thing to do and they emphasize that it will have no say on our admission decisions. I wish that I could use the experience to gather information and get to know people, but it's before my interview and I am just so anxious and really would rather just spend time relaxing the night before. But...deep down...since we know graduate students do have a say in our admissions and even have interviews with them officially, do you think it's a missed opportunity? To show you're a good fit and get along with them before the day? I don't want to miss an opportunity, but jeez I'd rather not worry about going as incredibly nice it is for them to do. 

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Anxiety is gonna be part of grad school. I understand the desire to prepare as best you can for the interview, but really the interview starts the minute of the first event. Some programs take the input of grad students, some don't, but you will gain NO benefit from skipping an event. The best case scenario of skipping is that the grad students don't remember you much; the worst case is that the grad students find you withdrawn and difficult to engage with in a group setting (this is BAD for grad school). 

Highly recommend you go, meet people, be friendly, and try to use the event to enjoy yourself. Typically they'll say the event is totally optional, but they hold it for a reason and you want to get as much (positive) visibility as you can