Deciphering the Email

DeWinter

Hello all,

The department chair of one of my top priority schools has written back after a month and a half. She wrote after the application was submitted and the deadline passed last week. She wrote to me last Sunday, saying that my research sounds fascinating and that she's sure that I'd find a place in X university. She doesn't have a sabbatical until further down the road so she's available is available to work with me. She also said that we could talk about the program on the phone if I'd like and that she strongly recommends that I talk to grad students.

Now, I wrote to her back in December and I received nothing, until after the deadline. What does the phone conversation mean? Any insights? Sorry, I'm kind of clueless about these sorts of things and my brain is fried from the application process.

Edited by karakiz

Well, it was winter break, after all. I'm sure she had a lot to do. The fact that she's gotten back to you expressing interest now suggests that she thinks you'd be a good fit, so I'd say you should take advantage of her offer to talk to you! Contact a few grad students saying that she suggested you speak to them, too - word might get back to her, and she'll be pleased to know you're willing to take advice. Plus, grad students, or ex-students, can be a really good source of advice, especially on mundane things like housing and transport.

You shouldn't take this contact as a sign that you're sure to get in, but I think it sounds like a step in the right direction. At least it tells you that the school and the department care about prospective students - that you're more than just a $70 application fee.

Well, it was winter break, after all. I'm sure she had a lot to do. The fact that she's gotten back to you expressing interest now suggests that she thinks you'd be a good fit, so I'd say you should take advantage of her offer to talk to you! Contact a few grad students saying that she suggested you speak to them, too - word might get back to her, and she'll be pleased to know you're willing to take advice. Plus, grad students, or ex-students, can be a really good source of advice, especially on mundane things like housing and transport.

You shouldn't take this contact as a sign that you're sure to get in, but I think it sounds like a step in the right direction. At least it tells you that the school and the department care about prospective students - that you're more than just a $70 application fee.

I didn't think it was a sure sign that I was in either but it does sound like at least it's something positive. Thanks for the advice!

You should call them if it's still an option. I've done this and my impression is that they want to ensure you're legitimate. Just call them and have a conversation--they'll be more impressed than if you call and sound like you're reading a script.

I agree with the above poster who said that it's a good indication that the school cares about it's students.

A lot of professors do this prior to selecting their students - they call a very short list of qualified applicants and try to feel them out to figure out their actual selections. This is usually a very good sign for your admission chances, because few professors want to waste time or raise expectations talking to too many potential students.

A lot of professors do this prior to selecting their students - they call a very short list of qualified applicants and try to feel them out to figure out their actual selections. This is usually a very good sign for your admission chances, because few professors want to waste time or raise expectations talking to too many potential students.

agreed.

Also, that person alone can't get you in, but they'll certainly help move your application along.