Interview dress code

Vee2111

Question

Hi everybody. I applied to two grad schools and got two interviews. Woohoo!

The first one is a prospective student all day event at Rutgers where I will be interviewed but the interviews are described as "meetings with faculty".

The second is a two-day event at Richard Gilder grad school at the Museum of Natural History in NYC. That seems like a more formal interview process where the interviews are actually called interviews. 

I'd love to get insight on what anyone thinks this means in terms of how to dress/what to bring. (I am a girl by the way, so suits vs slacks doesn't really apply here lol). If anyone has specific experiences interviewing for PhD programs at either of these two schools, your input would be greatly appreciated!

I know this question has been asked before so I'm sorry if I'm being redundant. Thank you!

1 answer to this question

I think part of this comes down to what your subject is. Anthropologists usually land on the more business casual side of the spectrum while med school or law school are on the more professional business attire side. However, this can differ by program and even between staff in that program (I have one professor who talks about the virtues of being a slick dresser pretty often while my advisor, though a good dresser, does fit more of a bohemian look). Wear something you are comfortable being in for the whole day and, if you're not sure about the attire, bring a few things that allow you to dress them up or down.