Open house invitation

ristastic

I was recently invited to an "open house" at one of my schools, at which an informal lunch will be served and we'll have a chance to meet with professors, talk to current graduate students and learn about some of the department's new programs. Is this as innocuous as it sounds, or a secret ploy to see who's really interested? What's your experience with these so-called "open houses"?

This whole process has made me really paranoid.

In my experience open houses are a way for universities to woo you to their program. It is also an excellent way for them to feel you out as a candidate. They will be able to determine if you are a good fit for the department and you will be able to evaluate your level of comfort with your potential cohort, faculty, etc.

Congrats on the invitation and have fun!

In my experience open houses are a way for universities to woo you to their program. It is also an excellent way for them to feel you out as a candidate. They will be able to determine if you are a good fit for the department and you will be able to evaluate your level of comfort with your potential cohort, faculty, etc.

Congrats on the invitation and have fun!

+1. I totally understand getting paranoid about the process, but I think that in general, if they're inviting you to the campus it can't possibly be a BAD sign, and it might be a really good sign...try to think positive!

I just got one of these as well, extended to all applicants for the program. I imagine that they tell you it doesn't hurt your chances not to go, but I'm so paranoid that I feel like I have to. And it's going to be a real pain in the ass, since it's on a weekday, and far away. Would love more insight into the Open House phenomenon... is it the kind of thing where you need to go and gladhand and have a winning personality and shiny ponytail? Or can you miss it without penalty?