Did you complete an MA

Straight to PhD or Masters degree first  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you applying to a PhD in education with or without obtaining an MA first?

• Masters degree earned in educational field
    • Masters degree earned in another field
    • No MA
  2. 2. Did you indicate that you would be happy to be considered for a masters degree instead?

• yes
    • no

Hi All,

I know I am mostly just trying to pass time during this long wait, but I am genuinely curious about the backgrounds of all the people on gradcafe who have applied to PhD programmes in education. Unlike in the UK (where I come from) in the USA it does seem that people can genuinely be accepted straight onto PhD programmes from undergrad (this is very rare in the UK). However, most people I have spoken to on here seem to have an MA, but the results pages are full of people who were deferred to the masters pools (suggesting they did not already have one or were willing to take a second). This has led me to believe that perhaps in our field many people do apply without an MA but that universities mostly defer these applicants. Thus, I thought I would conduct a little survey.