Does it mean that I have been silently rejected?

OldJoe

I have seen that someone has put his/her acceptance to Linguistics PhD of SUNY Buffalo.

But I have not heard anything from the department.And nothing has been updated on the application site. 

I don't know whether the interview requests are sent at the same time, or sent seperately according to subfields....

Or applications are reviewed differently for US applicants and international applicants. 

Are acceptance letters sent prior to the rejection letters? 

These things are haunting in my mind recently, which is really annoying. I am now so anxious and depressed......

It depends on the place, most do it by subfield with some time difference, and things can be spread out over at least a week easily. They also might have an internal wait-list etc. Don't lose hope yet.
Rejection letters are sent out pretty late by most places, however.

There is no one sweeping answer, unfortunately. In general: rejections go out (much) later than acceptances. Some waitlists are "silent", so you might not get accepted or rejected right away, but instead kept on the back burner until the school sees what its first batch of admitted applicants does. To my knowledge most of the time domestic and international students are considered at the same time, especially at private schools. There may be some differences at State schools, where funding for international students may be more limited. Whether that means that international students are reviewed later, I don't know (I don't think so, but I wouldn't bet too much money on that guess). As for interviews, again it depends if the interview is with the entire committee or some subpart (or just the POI). If it's with some subpart of the committee, it's entirely possible that not all requests will be sent out at the same time, but I think it's a safe bet that they probably wouldn't be spaced out too far apart. Eventually all the linguistics departments I know make their admissions decisions as a whole, after receiving some input from the admissions committee. So at the end of the day, there will be one or more faculty meetings where promising files will be discussed. Things will get moving (files read, interviews held) in preparation for this grand meeting. Those meetings tend to take place in January or early February, but beyond that, the best advice I can give you is that the Results search can give you some idea of when that happened in previous years, but no one can tell you anything more accurate than that. 

21 hours ago, humidz said:

It depends on the place, most do it by subfield with some time difference, and things can be spread out over at least a week easily. They also might have an internal wait-list etc. Don't lose hope yet.
Rejection letters are sent out pretty late by most places, however.

What I can do now is to wait..no news is good news..

14 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

There is no one sweeping answer, unfortunately. In general: rejections go out (much) later than acceptances. Some waitlists are "silent", so you might not accepted or rejected right away, but instead kept on the back burner until the school sees what its first batch of admitted applicants does. To my knowledge most of the time domestic and international students are considered at the same time, especially at private schools. There may be some differences at State schools, where funding for international students may be more limited. Whether that means that international students are reviewed later, I don't know (I don't think so, but I wouldn't bet too much money on that guess). As for interviews, again it depends if the interview is with the entire committee or some subpart (or just the POI). If it's with some subpart of the committee, it's entirely possible that not all requests will be sent out at the same time, but I think it's a safe bet that they probably wouldn't be spaced out too far apart. Eventually all the linguistics departments I know make their admissions decisions as a whole, after receiving some input from the admissions committee. So at the end of the day, there will be one or more faculty meetings where promising files will be discussed. Things will get moving (files read, interviews held) in preparation for this grand meeting. Those meetings tend to take place in January or early February, but beyond that, the best advice I can give you is that the Results search can give you some idea of when that happened in previous years, but no one can tell you anything more accurate than that. 

Thank you for your explanation. 

I think, all that I can do now is to wait...silently...

• 4 weeks later...