Funding studies in Germany without speaking German

pedropabloerr

Hi all,

I'm pursuing a Master degree in Germany, and I already failed to get a scholarship from the DAAD. I've been directed to many external funding options by the University I applied, but they all require high German speaking skills (at least B1, though some go even B2). 

Do you know any other option? 

Thanks in advance 

9 hours ago, Karajan said:

why would you want to do a master's degree in germany when you don't speak german? 

Quite a few of the programs are actually taught in English, but the schools require some proficiency in German, or will require you to take some sort of German as a second language class while you are there.

My daughter is in a similar position - she took a few classes in Kassel over the summer with very limited German, and is looking at a second master's or PhD program there when she finishes the one she is currently in stateside.

18 hours ago, pedropabloerr said:

Hi all,

I'm pursuing a Master degree in Germany, and I already failed to get a scholarship from the DAAD. I've been directed to many external funding options by the University I applied, but they all require high German speaking skills (at least B1, though some go even B2). 

Do you know any other option? 

Thanks in advance 

Full disclosure & I'll be frank: learning the language will only reflect positively on you as a scholar and student. Perhaps there are scholarships, but your question is far too general: what field are you, where are you academically, is your pursuit of the degree for working in the country or returning to the US, etc.? 

Keep re-applying to the DAAD. Apply for a Fulbright. Don't attend graduate study on your own dime if possible, and if you do hopefully you're informed about the returns. Assuming that your 2017-2018 academic season is unfavorable, attend a summer language program, Goethe Institut course. I don't mean to understate the difficulty in learning a language, but you can B1 level in German after Middlebury's intensive language program or good home practice+course-taking. Middlebury provides language study scholarships, too.

The time spent looking for English-funded graduate study in Germany could be best spent learning the language.

And to try to answer your question, instead of resisting it, perhaps you should re-enroll at your existing college for some complimentary or postgraduate study and attend a study abroad program in Germany. That way you can receive funding from your own school and establish better leads.