Help please! Need some honest advice

FailedScientist

Hi guys! So I'm getting close to the end of my second application cycle with my 10th straight rejection out of 13. I could really use some advice on where my application stands or just if I do not have the qualifications to seriously pursue research in biomed as a career.

Undergrad Institution: The University of Sydney

Majors: Biochemistry, Cell Pathology
Overall GPA: 3.45
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: International (Asian)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:162 
V:160
W:4.5
B: Havent done it.

Research Experience: 1 year part time, 1 year for undergrad thesis both in proteomics. 1.5 years research in public health. Just started in imm/viro lab and hoping to continue in virology.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: summer research scholarship

Applying to Where:
1st cycle :Ucsf, Rockefeller, UCB, WSBS, Scripps, UC Davis, Boston Uni, university of Sydney (all rejected/ no schol)

I know I was ambitious with these schools but i didn't want any regrets.

2nd Cycle: UNC (rejected), UMass med (rejected), Baylor college of med, University of Utah, UVA

Was really confident that I would get one or two acceptances or at least some Skype interviews. What is going on? I know it's still not over but seems like I'm not a first round invite for the remaining schools either. Is it that I don't have the gpa or is it the pubs. I really can't afford to pay my way through a masters. GRE subject test has been discontinued. Any advice would be great.

Edited by FailedScientist

I don't know your field, but with that string of rejections (for which I'm sorry...it must sting) it seems like more than the dry stats of GPA and GRE, neither of which seem that bad. How confident are you about your letters or recommendation and/or statement? At a guess, you might need to have a very awkward and honest check in with your letter writers (were they the same ones as last year?) if you feel you're up to that. Not saying to barge into their office demanding to know what they wrote, but sort of approach admitting that you had a terrible application round and asking if they have any advice, if they think this is feasible for you, etc. Or alternatively, and perhaps more practically, find different letter writers and make sure to ask them up front if they believe they can write a strong letter for you. And have someone who knows the field and will be nastily honest look over your SoP as well. It sounds like there's something that's making a bad impression - could be a single throwaway line - buried somewhere in your application, and I figure those are the most likely candidates.

Thanks. The thing is I have read one of the recommendation letters and it was amazing. The other is from my thesis supervisor who has supported mr many times throughout. Gave me a paid research assistant job as an undergrad and fought for me to get a high Mark for my thesis. The final is from my previous boss a Harvard and Oxford graduate who is at the top of his field in health economics. I have heard from multiple people that he thinks I am intelligent and capable.  I have given my SoP to a couple of PhD holders (one in my field, one in physics) as well as a writer to edit. 

So my undergrad is a bachelor of medical science and my previous research has mostly been medical related so I applied to mostly biomedical phd programs this time around. The first cycle I applied to a mix but the feedback I got from the more basic science departments was that I would better "fit" a med department. My public health experience was part of a major project for the Malaysian government, as part of the team from the Harvard School of Public Health. I also worked on another project which was more local but politics was stalling it too much and I eventually left that job to get back in the lab. I think at this point I may end up taking some time off from applications to the US to work on my resume. Just not sure what would be the best thing to focus on. If I stay in my current lab I may get published in a mid tier-low tier international journal eventually. I can also try applying to Australia for an Mphil which is 2 years research with full scholarships available. I'm turning 26 this year so I do still have time but I also dont want to waste too much time either. I will look more into the private vs public schools. Call It ego but I don't want to apply to universities in the states that are too low in reputation (aiming for top 200 world rankings roughly) . As for many other internationals it's too much sacrifice for too little reward imho.

If your research in public health wasn't lab work, programs might not consider it as part of your "research" repertoire but more like an extracurricular. With only 2 years of research, 1 of them part time, you might want to build your resume a bit if you want to apply to American programs. Your GPA could use some work, so a master's would definitely help if you did solid research and got good grades.

5 hours ago, jougami said:

If your research in public health wasn't lab work, programs might not consider it as part of your "research" repertoire but more like an extracurricular. With only 2 years of research, 1 of them part time, you might want to build your resume a bit if you want to apply to American programs. Your GPA could use some work, so a master's would definitely help if you did solid research and got good grades.

Thanks jougami. I've been thinking since I have gotten a really good RA job at an immunology lab studying Dengue Virus, I should put my head down and work hard here until I get a strong publication out of it. Maybe do a masters in Australia next year or year after if I get a full ride. I don't have particular obligations of family within the next few years of my life so I guess I can take the time to do this.