How should I reply?

sesostris

I am wondering: how should I reply to admissions offer? What should I say? I mean, I can't believe the admissions that I got, but I don't know what to say! I want to wait until I have replies from other programs, but of course I do not want to be rude and say something like that I have to decide later and the like. Should I reply? Is it ok to just thank them and acknowledge receipt of the admission without mentioning at all the fact that I am going to wait until I can decide?

What do you think??

You should reply, so they can know you received their offer. Say you are happy, excited, etc., that you are going to review their offer with great care and compare to others you received.

They do this every cycle. For us it is a first time experience (I tried last cycle, but didn't get admissions, so didn't need to answer anybody), and that's why it is so difficult. They will understand you want to review your offers, because they would do the same in our place (and they DID when it was their time).

For emails from professors,  I generally say something like:

Dear Professor X,

Thank you for your email. I was delighted to hear of my acceptance to your program and am looking forward to attending visiting days in March. I hope to speak with you then.

Then, if I have questions about the program, I will ask them. Otherwise, something along the lines of "I will be sure to come to you with any questions I have in the following weeks."

Best Wishes,

Similar to the person above, this is how I've been replying to schools:

"Dear Professor X,

Thank you for your email, I am humbled to be offered such a wonderful opportunity at University X! [ask any questions that you may have here]

I will be in attendance/[or not] to the Open House in March/April, and I sincerely look forward to learning more about the program at University X.

With kindest regards,

name"