Asking a Faculty Contact to Send a Note to the Director of Admissions?

blah0016

I have a faculty contact at my top choice school who has expressed interest in working with me as a student if I were accepted to the program. I have a low overall GPA, and since my program is a top program, I am worried about not making the first round of cutoffs. Could I ask my faculty contact to send an email to the director of admissions at my program, saying that we have communicated and they would be interested in working with me if I was accepted to the program? Or is this going too forward?

Too forward. If your POI gets to take a student this year, that person will be involved in the process anyway and will stick up for you as much or as little as s/he sees fit. To make an explicit request might seem pushy.

only one exception: if you know this prof. very well, and he feels strongly about your candidacy. otherwise i agree, it will come off as being too pushy. you can try telling him indirectly if you like.......i may try that if you are sincerely worried. i really can understand your worry though....

I did put in my SOP that I have communicated with him, but I know for a fact he is not on the admissions committee, so I don't know if that will help my application be considered. Also, though my Upper Division GPA is a 3.95, my overall is <3.5 which is the program's cutoff. He originally said, around 2 months ago, that he would look at my application (not sure what that means), but I am afraid he forgot as he is quite busy.

When I met with him, he also suggested that I talk to a few of his students. I am planning on meeting some of his students this week and then meeting him informally in person, mention that I met his students, am very interested in their work and in his research. I am considering telling him that I already got accepted to some other schools, but his school/research program remains my top choice.

Katalytik--how would one try telling him indirectly?Sounds interesting...

Edited by blah0016

I did put in my SOP that I have communicated with him, but I know for a fact he is not on the admissions committee, so I don't know if that will help my application be considered. Also, though my Upper Division GPA is a 3.95, my overall is <3.5 which is the program's cutoff. He originally said, around 2 months ago, that he would look at my application (not sure what that means), but I am afraid he forgot as he is quite busy.

When I met with him, he also suggested that I talk to a few of his students. I am planning on meeting some of his students this week and then meeting him informally in person, mention that I met his students, am very interested in their work and in his research. I am considering telling him that I already got accepted to some other schools, but his school/research program remains my top choice.

Katalytik--how would one try telling him indirectly?Sounds interesting...

You can ask if he has played a role in admissions before and how faculty have a role in admissions even if they are not on the adcomm. you may start with vague questions, and he may end up offering information if he feels comfortable. the adcom will probably ask him his view about you anyway......

in my case, i am working with one faculty at the school i applied to, and he is not on the adcom. however, he said the committee will likely ask him. so i don't think it is a complete loss even if you don't actually ask him.

you may luck out, and he may say he will at least shoot them an email about your candidacy. that would be great for you if you can get that done. also, try talking to the existing grad students and see what they think about this idea of approaching your prof.

You can ask if he has played a role in admissions before and how faculty have a role in admissions even if they are not on the adcomm. you may start with vague questions, and he may end up offering information if he feels comfortable. the adcom will probably ask him his view about you anyway......

in my case, i am working with one faculty at the school i applied to, and he is not on the adcom. however, he said the committee will likely ask him. so i don't think it is a complete loss even if you don't actually ask him.

you may luck out, and he may say he will at least shoot them an email about your candidacy. that would be great for you if you can get that done. also, try talking to the existing grad students and see what they think about this idea of approaching your prof.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try that this week and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your valuable input and to everyone else who replied as well.

Edited by blah0016

Update: I met with one of his grad students, who suggested against talking to him about it in person, but rather to send him an email update. In the email I updated him on the status of my current research, and emphasized that though I have gotten into other programs, his program/work remains my top choice. I also mentioned I have submitted my application to his program, but have not heard back. He replied saying he would email the admissions committee to check on the status of my application, and to let him know if I hear anything from them.