Constant Anxiety Anyone?

Lurker here. Thanks y'all for all your comments, help, and affirmations along the way. And biggie congrats to those holding acceptances!

I'm writing for the first time because I'm wondering if anyone else out there feels like they shot way too big. I applied to nine schools and have two received rejections (plus one implied). Maybe it's because all the news has been bad so far, but I'm losing confidence. Anyone else in the same boat? How are y'all coping?

I'm in exactly the same boat, if it helps. Just got my 2nd official rejection (plus one implied)--waiting to hear from 8 more...I'm convinced I'm not getting in anywhere at this point and I know that's silly because 8 schools is still a lot...but to be honest I'm really not coping very well at all. 

You're 100% not alone. I found it very hard to focus at work this week and that's usually not a problem. Tonight I'm going out to eat for a friend's birthday and think I'm going to leave my phone at home because I can't keep checking it for updates. 

I'm coping by doing as much of my favorite stuff as I can... lots of music and writing and time with friends... because if I don't do that then all I'm going to do is sit at home and stress. Plus I've been applying to jobs, trying to turn my nervous energy into productivity. 

10 minutes ago, crugs said:

I'm in exactly the same boat, if it helps. Just got my 2nd official rejection (plus one implied)--waiting to hear from 8 more...I'm convinced I'm not getting in anywhere at this point and I know that's silly because 8 schools is still a lot...but to be honest I'm really not coping very well at all. 

Ach. So sorry to hear you're not doing well. Looks like we applied to a few of the same places (Chi, Brown, Northwestern, Denver). Northwestern was top of my list, so I was pretty crushed by that one. I'm trying to fight my pessimism, constantly going over my stats in my head, and generally fretting non-stop. I know all of that is unproductive, yet... 

Is there something specific in your application packet that most worries you? Feel free not to answer if it only exacerbates the anxiety; I was just curious. Mine is my undergrad GPA. I didn't do well my first term and I worked hard to redeem it. But, I was only able to graduate with a 3.5 (3.7 for my major). 

Well, all the to say. I'm cheering for you. Do what you need to stave off the blues. 

4 minutes ago, Pezpoet said:

Is there something specific in your application packet that most worries you? Feel free not to answer if it only exacerbates the anxiety; I was just curious. Mine is my undergrad GPA. I didn't do well my first term and I worked hard to redeem it. But, I was only able to graduate with a 3.5 (3.7 for my major). 

Well, all the to say. I'm cheering for you. Do what you need to stave off the blues. 

Mostly my LORs--I have two strong ones from Undergrad and Work (teaching), but the 3rd from my MA is from a program advisor because literally NOBODY that I worked with works at the school anymore and when I was there I didn't intend on going back into academia (graduated 4 years ago)....so I had a helluva time even trying to find someone from there to write me a letter....That's what worries me the most for sure. Even though I got it and it's lovely, it's not as personal as it should be. 

Also the fact that I went to undergrad at a State School--my overall GPA was low, 3.6, but my major GPA was 3.85...so I don't know. Mostly the letters though.

Honestly today has sucked. Got MN and Austin nos within 10  minutes of each other and even though I had an email from Northwestern yesterday, they sent another email with the portal updated this morning....so it's just been a shit day. 

Having this forum has been great though, just knowing we're all in the same boat. My fingers are crossed for you and everyone else!

3 hours ago, crugs said:

Mostly my LORs--I have two strong ones from Undergrad and Work (teaching), but the 3rd from my MA is from a program advisor because literally NOBODY that I worked with works at the school anymore and when I was there I didn't intend on going back into academia (graduated 4 years ago)....so I had a helluva time even trying to find someone from there to write me a letter....That's what worries me the most for sure. Even though I got it and it's lovely, it's not as personal as it should be. 

Also the fact that I went to undergrad at a State School--my overall GPA was low, 3.6, but my major GPA was 3.85...so I don't know. Mostly the letters though.

Honestly today has sucked. Got MN and Austin nos within 10  minutes of each other and even though I had an email from Northwestern yesterday, they sent another email with the portal updated this morning....so it's just been a shit day. 

Having this forum has been great though, just knowing we're all in the same boat. My fingers are crossed for you and everyone else!

To make you feel better, compared to you, I am not competitive at all. BA in Economics, MA in Comparative Lit, GPA different from the way you calculated in the USA. 

YOU WILL BE AN EXCELLENT PHD STUDENT. And I...need to focus on my MA thesis right now, the whole application thing make my life stagnant.

2 hours ago, Lovegood said:

To make you feel better, compared to you, I am not competitive at all. BA in Economics, MA in Comparative Lit, GPA different from the way you calculated in the USA. 

YOU WILL BE AN EXCELLENT PHD STUDENT. And I...need to focus on my MA thesis right now, the whole application thing make my life stagnant.

You can do it!!!! Keep that focus-it'll keep you (somewhat) sane!!!