Bugged a school twice this week about my app status. Did I mess up my chances?

RazaXo

1 hour ago, RazaXo said:

So I had an anxiety attack and bugged UCLA grad office with an email on my app status 2x this week. 

I' pretty sure I won't email them again until I officially hear a decision, but did I affect my decision by bugging them? 

Nah, but if you do get in maybe give whoever you e-mailed a little space so they can forget about it.  

Just be cool. I thought I was bothering them until my friend told me that the graduate coordinators are hired to answer our questions. Just let them do their job, and they'll forget you in a day or two, unless your application has got some serious problems.

It's very likely that you emailed an officer who has very little to do with your acceptance decision. It sounds like you emailed someone at the admissions office at UCLA's graduate school, but folks in the actual Chemistry Department decide whether or not to extend an offer. If that's the case, you should be fine.

5 hours ago, GeorgeC07 said:

Just be cool. I thought I was bothering them until my friend told me that the graduate coordinators are hired to answer our questions. Just let them do their job, and they'll forget you in a day or two, unless your application has got some serious problems.

This is true, but note that answering the questions of applicants is rarely their only job. Perhaps some places do have people hired solely for the admissions season, but these are likely administrative staff with many other duties so I wouldn't treat it as a blank cheque to ask them as many questions as you want! (Or to expect responses immediately).

25 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

This is true, but note that answering the questions of applicants is rarely their only job. Perhaps some places do have people hired solely for the admissions season, but these are likely administrative staff with many other duties so I wouldn't treat it as a blank cheque to ask them as many questions as you want! (Or to expect responses immediately).

Yeah, I once read something from the admission offices' websites that said, only ask questions after reading thoroughly the info on the websites since no one wants to be bothered with questions they've already answered.