sgphd

Question

I am currently a PhD student at another UC school in the political science department. Not quite getting the institutional support I need for my research interests, so looking to transfer to Berkeley in order to (hopefully) get that support. Berkeley has a lot more faculty working in my area of interest. Is it worth the repeat of application pain to transfer? Any suggestions, insight, or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer to this question

Within UC's, you are allowed to take courses in other UC's for a quarter. If there are faculty there whose research is more in line with yours, maybe get in touch with them and then try to take courses there--and eventually curry the favor of someone there. A couple years back a grad student did something like that, went to Berkeley for a quarter and was never seen again (presumably because they stayed there). If the faculty there is already willing to fund you, I'd imagine the application process wouldn't be nearly as hard, though you're likely to burn bridges at your current UC.