Dropping in to visit during the decision process? IU Bloomington Comp. Sci

Mumbet

I applied to IU close to the deadline and didn't leave enough time to contact any faculty, but I'm really hoping to get in now that I've looked at their research more. Although my application is good, it's not the type where I can just count on being accepted (my statistics are in the signature), so I want to do something to make it better. I also happen to live less than 2 hours away and could easily visit them.

Would it be proper to visit potential advisors during the decision process (setting up appointments first), to discuss research interests?

I know I could just stick to sending e-mails, but I feel like a visit where a potential advisor gets to know me in person might make me stand out more. It would also give me an early look at their department. I just don't know if that would be seen as overly pushy to do that while they're in the middle of decisions. While I don't want to come off that way, I still regret not contacting any of the faculty there yet, so I want do something. Thoughts?

Edited by Mumbet

Tough call. I debated stopping to visit a couple departments while I was on their campuses in January, but it did seem to me like I would come off as a bit pushy. I guess it can depend on your field, but in many fields contacting professors in advance is not necessarily expected and wouldn't hurt your chances much. I think at this point it's best to let your application speak for itself. Plus, chances are the departments are really busy starting their semesters, moving deeper into any hiring searches they might be doing, and of course in the thick of grad admissions, so it really may not be a good time to visit.

Still, I had a friend visit his department (they had invited him, however, since he didn't get to meet the full department when he was there in October) and they gave him a verbal acceptance. He's in a very small field, however, so they might do things differently.

We've discussed this on a few other threads and generally, the answer has been no, it's not appropriate.

Thanks for letting me know what the historic consensus is, I definitely don't want to impose on them or anything. I guess I'm just dying to see this place. The projects they're doing are such a perfect fit for me so I'm anxious to know what the department's like. The school's also right next to Nashville Indiana, which my mom and I like to visit. Last time we swung by I wasn't really paying attention to IU's campus, so going back would give me a chance to look at it from the perspective of maybe attending.

Edited by Mumbet

Thanks for letting me know what the historic consensus is, I definitely don't want to impose on them or anything. I guess I'm just dying to see this place. The projects they're doing are such a perfect fit for me so I'm anxious to know what the department's like. The school's also right next to Nashville Indiana, which my mom and I like to visit. Last time we swung by I wasn't really paying attention to IU's campus, so going back would give me a chance to look at it from the perspective of maybe attending.

I was actually going to do this to my top choice, but they actually pre-empted me by calling me and inviting me to Open House weekend. When I mentioned on the phone that I was thinking of stopping by anyway in a couple of weeks, the professor on the phone did not at all seem enthusiastic. If anything, I think this hurt me.