Biostatistics Ph.D. Rankings

deptbios

I wanna get some information about ranking in Biostatistics Ph.D. program in the US.

Furthermore, could you evaluate Ph.D. program in New York University, IUPUI(Indiana University), and University of Miami?

Thank you very much, in advance!

USNews ranks all the statistics and biostatistics programs together, to separate out the biostat departments just click on the schools and see if the department is "biostatistics" or "statistics".  Some schools may be a bit more complicated, for instance stanford has a biostat concentration in their stat department, but you can figure these things out by reading the school's website.

Here's the biostatistics ordering though, with the combined biostat-and-stat rank in parens:

1. Harvard (3)

1. University of Washington (3)

3. Johns Hopkins (5)

4. University of Michigan (12)

4. UNC (12)

6. University of California Berkeley (15)

7. University of Minnesota (24)

8. University of Pennsylvania (27)

9. Columbia (30)

9. UCLA (30)

11. Yale (34)

12. Emory (38)

13. University of Rochester (42)

13. Brown (42)

13. Univ Iowa (42)

15. Univ Pittsburgh (47)

16. Boston University (49)

17. Medical College of Wisconsin (53)

17. UIC (53)

17. Univ Texas Health Sci Ctr (53)

.... etc

I don't believe any of the 4 schools you've listed have ranked biostat departments, why have you chosen those to apply to exactly?

Edited by Innominate

21 hours ago, Innominate said:

USNews ranks all the statistics and biostatistics programs together, to separate out the biostat departments just click on the schools and see if the department is "biostatistics" or "statistics".  Some schools may be a bit more complicated, for instance stanford has a biostat concentration in their stat department, but you can figure these things out by reading the school's website.

Here's the biostatistics ordering though, with the combined biostat-and-stat rank in parens:

1. Harvard (3)

3. Johns Hopkins (5)

4. UNC (12)

9. Columbia (30)

9. UCLA (30)

11. Yale (34)

12. Emory (38)

13. Brown (42)

13. Univ Iowa (42)

15. Univ Pittsburgh (47)

17. UIC (53)

.... etc

I don't believe any of the 4 schools you've listed have ranked biostat departments, why have you chosen those to apply to exactly?

Thanks for informing rankings in graduate program of biostatistics. To be honest, I'm waiting for an admission several universities listed in your rankings (Johns Hopkins, Michigan, UNC, Minnesota etc...). But, I don't receive any official letter or interview offer from them until now.... Also, I've gotten offer from my listed universites. So, I was wondering about the rankings among them... Thanks.

On 2/7/2017 at 5:45 PM, Innominate said:

1. Harvard (3)

3. Johns Hopkins (5)

4. UNC (12)

9. Columbia (30)

9. UCLA (30)

11. Yale (34)

12. Emory (38)

13. Brown (42)

13. Univ Iowa (42)

15. Univ Pittsburgh (47)

17. UIC (53)

.... etc

From what I know, some biostats programs that are not in stats department or not in the public health are not in the rankings, however that does not mean it's not a good program. Some biostats programs are in the medical school, of which the rankings or the qualities are also something I am trying to find out.

I'll let more experienced professors weigh in on the unknown-but-good programs, but its worth some skepticism if they're not ranked by either USNews or the NRC.  These rankings are primarily (completely in USNews case) based on professor surveys, so if they didn't get enough responses about a school how likely is it that their biostat program is producing good work?

Also, some schools above are based in medical schools so I don't think it's true as a rule that the USNews list excludes medical school based programs.  For instance University of texas health science center (MD Anderson now), Medical College of Wisconsin and University of Rochester are are medical school based programs.  Was there a specific program you were curious about, waitforever?

Edited by Innominate

The rankings are weird on this site. For example, if one deletes the three biostats departments above Chicago, then logically places Chicago at #3 with statistics. But clicking on the schools show different rankings. Weird and not well done. Too bad this list wasn't properly designed based on the separation.

Edited by arima

On 2/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, waitforever said:

From what I know, some biostats programs that are not in stats department or not in the public health are not in the rankings, however that does not mean it's not a good program. Some biostats programs are in the medical school, of which the rankings or the qualities are also something I am trying to find out.

This actually is not true. UPenn's program is in the rankings, and is housed in their medical school.

I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the program as well. Admittedly, Berkeley has a very small PhD program (only a few students coming in each year), but I think the non-ranked programs are mostly because of the size.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:08 PM, Innominate said:

I'll let more experienced professors weigh in on the unknown-but-good programs, but its worth some skepticism if they're not ranked by either USNews or the NRC.  These rankings are primarily (completely in USNews case) based on professor surveys, so if they didn't get enough responses about a school how likely is it that their biostat program is producing good work?

Also, some schools above are based in medical schools so I don't think it's true as a rule that the USNews list excludes medical school based programs.  For instance University of texas health science center (MD Anderson now), Medical College of Wisconsin and University of Rochester are are medical school based programs.  Was there a specific program you were curious about, waitforever?

I agree with this a lot. There are some schools who are low on the rankings, but who have very good professors (Daniels from Texas comes to mind), but I don't really know of any unranked programs that have good faculty members.