On Being Denied

oldacct

Many of us have already or will be receiving denials. Not only to programs we knew may be a stretch, but also to programs that we were confident we would get into. Just wanted to share a few things:

1) I've heard from an admitted student that they were told by a middle range program that they were denied because they thought this applicant would ultimately deny the offer and hold up the waitlist. Remember, it's in the university's best interest to accept the best candidates that will likely attend. So it is possible that you'll receive denials because programs think you'll choose somewhere else or that you'll be unhappy there.

2) On a similar note, an article on Posselt's book on admission processes of elite schools states:

For instance, those whose programs were not at the very top of the rankings frequently talked about not wanting to offer a spot to someone they believed would go to a higher-ranked program. They didn't want their department to be the graduate equivalent of what high school students applying to college call a "safety school." In this sense many of these departments turned down superior candidates, some of whom might have enrolled. Many of the professors sound insecure about their programs even though they are among the very best.

3) Ultimately, I know it sucks to be denied. Especially if you are denied to all the programs you applied for, but just know that denials are very common with graduate school admissions and that's why many of us apply to several programs or apply during multiple seasons. Good luck!

4 hours ago, sociologicals said:

Many of us have already or will be receiving denials. Not only to programs we knew may be a stretch, but also to programs that we were confident we would get into. Just wanted to share a few things:

1) I've heard from an admitted student that they were told by a middle range program that they were denied because they thought this applicant would ultimately deny the offer and hold up the waitlist. Remember, it's in the university's best interest to accept the best candidates that will likely attend. So it is possible that you'll receive denials because programs think you'll choose somewhere else or that you'll be unhappy there.

2) On a similar note, an article on Posselt's book on admission processes of elite schools states:

For instance, those whose programs were not at the very top of the rankings frequently talked about not wanting to offer a spot to someone they believed would go to a higher-ranked program. They didn't want their department to be the graduate equivalent of what high school students applying to college call a "safety school." In this sense many of these departments turned down superior candidates, some of whom might have enrolled. Many of the professors sound insecure about their programs even though they are among the very best.

3) Ultimately, I know it sucks to be denied. Especially if you are denied to all the programs you applied for, but just know that denials are very common with graduate school admissions and that's why many of us apply to several programs or apply during multiple seasons. Good luck!

First, great topic.  I am out of upvotes again (too many people have had good news).

After being denied 5 times and making 1 waitlist I bought the kindle edition of Posselt's book and read the entire thing while waiting for my advisor to send back edits on my thesis.  I am now more worried than I was at the beginning of this application process.  In the book they refer to "diversity candidates" as "risks"- twice in quotes from Sociology departments, they defer to the GRE (even though studies prove this to be a terrible test of ability), GPA is no longer relevent (why did I work so hard?), and on the whole failed to look at all applicants in the holistic way that websites suggest they will.  Obviously she didn't study only Soc programs, but this book gave a lot of insight as to what is going on in those meetings and what a student who doesn't get in this year can do to improve their chances next year. 

I applied to 13 programs so I cast a wide net, and I am yet to hear back from 6 so fingers crossed.  Of course if I don't hear good news or make it off one of the waitlists I will apply again.  I think that is the most important message for people who are denied, in academia you will be denied things more often than you'll get them (funding).  After reading Posselt's book the plan is-  I'll study and retake my GRE's so that my quant score is above the 80% (my other scores are already there), I'll try to publish work from my thesis, I'll submit papers to conferences (I already have 3 papers I've presented), and I'll start reaching out to potential programs over the summer, and I'll continue to teach at the college level (at least at a community college as I'll have my MA).  I think it is important to add that you can do all the things you thought were right in this process and still not get in, as was essentially described by Posselt.  There are things you can't change, for example, like where you went to school (Posselt discusses the problem of elitism at length), or whether or not your application reminds them of a student who flaked out.  What you can do is not give up or that's my view on being denied. 

Edited by montanem

One of the exciting things about denials is there's so many ways to get them. I got a letter in the mail and went hummm a remarkably small piece of mail, just a single sheet of paper in this here envelope. Instant flashback to applying to undergrad schools it was kinda nice not gonna lie.

• 3 weeks later...