University of Michigan Biostatistics

I am wondering if those admitted to the Master's (Biostats) program at UMichigan  need to approach individual faculty members for funding (RA/TA positions) ,or is that internally decided by the admissions committee , in case the letter of offer indicated that the committee "may consider offering support"?

Edited by BadMoonRising

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a small question about the UMich Biostat program that doesn't quite warrant its own thread. I see on the results page that some people were accepted to the fast-track MS/PhD and some were accepted directly into the PhD program (even if they didn't have a previous Masters degree). Does anyone know what exactly the difference is? Don't both cohorts have to pass the quals to advance to candidacy and take the same courses? Do PhD admits also get a Masters degree en route if they didn't have one before?

Edited by reallyworried

3 hours ago, reallyworried said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a small question about the UMich Biostat program that doesn't quite warrant its own thread. I see on the results page that some people were accepted to the fast-track MS/PhD and some were accepted directly into the PhD program (even if they didn't have a previous Masters degree). Does anyone know what exactly the difference is? Don't both cohorts have to pass the quals to advance to candidacy and take the same courses? Do PhD admits also get a Masters degree en route if they didn't have one before?

From my understanding, if you are accepted to the MS/PhD 'fast-track' you still have to technically apply to the PhD program after your coursework. You're not automatically guaranteed a position once you're done, even though they accept most people who do well enough in their courses. I believe that you also need a letter of rec from a faculty member. 

This is based on what was said at their prospective student day' in the past, I may be wrong!