Considering MPH from GSU - advice on job outlook?

GradGirl90

Hello all,

I'm in a rather interesting situation, and i'm hoping i can get some advice. I have an undergrad in psychology and an MS in criminal justice. I've been struggling to find a job lately, and i think it is partially due to the fact that i did my program online (from a reputable school, however). I wasn't able to attend any networking events or truly get to know my professors. I've also found myself very interested in epidemiological criminology (EpiCrim for short). I've been considering an MPH or a PhD in criminal justice. The MPH is from GSU, and they have research projects specifically in violence and mental health. A great combo for me! However, if i get more education, i would really like to know the employment outlook for an epidemiologist. Grad school is very expensive, and i have a decent amount of debt as it is. I've heard mixed things...some people say MPH is worthless if you don't have an MD to go with it, others say it's a great degree to get. Can someone elaborate on this? I just have to make sure i'm not screwed if i get this degree (to put it bluntly).

Also, which is the better concentration for jobs - epi or biostats?

Thank you so much!

If you are pursuing MPH for job purposes, I think biostats would give you a higher chance of employment. Epi is still great, but all MPH programs have basic epi as part of the curriculum anyways. Epidemiological criminology is not a widely known stream of public health. Also, mental health is being talked about but rarely applied in practical settings (i.e. local public health branches or CDC) so I would look into building your experience on something like disease surveillance.

It is also helpful to see what kind of jobs are out there. Look at what kind of degree/experiences that they want from applicants. Most of the public health obs that I've seen is very much focused on epi or biostats with little emphasis on mental health. This is MY "blunt" opinion and other people would have a very different idea. 

On 2/14/2017 at 10:23 AM, COGSCI said:

If you are pursuing MPH for job purposes, I think biostats would give you a higher chance of employment. Epi is still great, but all MPH programs have basic epi as part of the curriculum anyways. Epidemiological criminology is not a widely known stream of public health. Also, mental health is being talked about but rarely applied in practical settings (i.e. local public health branches or CDC) so I would look into building your experience on something like disease surveillance.

It is also helpful to see what kind of jobs are out there. Look at what kind of degree/experiences that they want from applicants. Most of the public health obs that I've seen is very much focused on epi or biostats with little emphasis on mental health. This is MY "blunt" opinion and other people would have a very different idea. 

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. Do you know if an MPH is a valued degree in today's work force? I've received mixed answers, and as i said, i want to make sure there are high employment stats with this degree. I've always found epidemiology to be an interesting subject, so i wouldn't be pursuing it strictly for job purposes, but it is an important factor.