Calling All Computer Science 2010 Applicants!

explorer-c

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my Berkeley acceptance on Monday (maybe it was an early round or just my subfield since it only seemed to be a few people), and I didn't take the CS GRE (or any other subject GRE), but I am an American student. I think the subject GRE is much more important for international students, particularly those that didn't attend in the US for undergrad. Although I wouldn't sweat it either way at this point since what is done is done.

Wait - I got an unofficial notification of acceptance but no official. Is this an e-mail or a physical letter?

Official and unofficial email. Also, phone call from area professors.

Also, Stanford finally sent out some acceptances.

Official and unofficial email. Also, phone call from area professors.

Also, Stanford finally sent out some acceptances.

Good for you jamiemmt. I heard from Stanford too. I got a medal from them rolleyes.gif i.e. I was Rejected tongue.gif . Now the wait for Berkeley continues. If Berkeley rejects me too then it looks like I have some cold weather and snow in my future laugh.gif. Though I am told Berkeley can get cold too. It rarely, if ever, goes below 20 C where I am from.

Well I was hoping to hear back from warmer places too, but looks like I'll just be heading further north haha. Started out in the tropics, Chicago for undergrad and looks like Canada for grad school.

Got into Princeton! I'm surprised that Princeton accepts me and Cornell doesn't even put me on their waitlist? I thought I had a better fit at Cornell, and they take more people...

Anyway, if CMU/MIT are reading this... don't let this discourage you from accepting me...

I got a batch e-mail. I don't know if other people got a personal e-mail; I think two of the professors I am interested in working with are on sabbatical so others might have gotten a personalized one.

Edited by OH YEAH

I got a batch e-mail. I don't know if other people got a personal e-mail; I think two of the professors I am interested in working with are on sabbatical so others might have gotten a personalized one.

Well, sucks for me haha. Congratulations on your acceptance though!

Well, sucks for me haha. Congratulations on your acceptance though!

Hey, don't worry. Cornell is a brilliant school!

Does anyone know if Illinois is done sending acceptances? Somehow I think MIT/Berkeley/CMU are done sending... :-(

Also, has anyone heard from UT Austin?

Edited by OH YEAH

Hey, don't worry. Cornell is a brilliant school!

Does anyone know if Illinois is done sending acceptances? Somehow I think MIT/Berkeley/CMU are done sending... :-(

Also, has anyone heard from UT Austin?

I heard from UT Austin on 1/25, and I believe most of the acceptances went out that day (5 or 6 of my friends got in). They could still have more to send, but the admit weekend is at the end of Feb., so it's getting a little late.

What does everyone think about the state of Berkeley & CMU (regular CS PhD) admits? They have both sent out a bunch of acceptances, but it is not clear whether they are finished or not (at least to me).

The CMU Open House is the weekend of Feb 26, and they wanted us to book our flights by last week, so I doubt they are sending out more acceptances... but I suppose it's possible that they have an unofficial waitlist, and they might send out offers if people decline them soon. Good luck. I was told that they (LTI at least) were extremely selective this year, which I think is the case of most schools, unfortunately.

I still have my fingers crossed about Berkeley, but, I'm pretty sure I've been rejected by this point...

I heard from UT Austin on 1/25, and I believe most of the acceptances went out that day (5 or 6 of my friends got in). They could still have more to send, but the admit weekend is at the end of Feb., so it's getting a little late.

Oh well. I couldn't see myself in Texas anyway... too hot...

That's a damn shame about CMU though.

Did anyone else apply to multiple programs at CMU and only hear back from one of them so far? I'm going to go to the LTI open house (I was accepted there for a Masters only) in order to keep my options open, and perhaps if I'm very lucky I can positively influence a decision on my machine learning application since I'm meeting with a bunch of joint LTI / MLD professors when I go there next week...

Did anyone else apply to multiple programs at CMU and only hear back from one of them so far? I'm going to go to the LTI open house (I was accepted there for a Masters only) in order to keep my options open, and perhaps if I'm very lucky I can positively influence a decision on my machine learning application since I'm meeting with a bunch of joint LTI / MLD professors when I go there next week...

I applied to Robotics Institute and CS, and have yet to hear from either of them. Likely not a very good sign. The open house will definitely be a great place to meet the ML profs and get your name running throughout the dept.

I applied to Robotics Institute and CS, and have yet to hear from either of them. Likely not a very good sign. The open house will definitely be a great place to meet the ML profs and get your name running throughout the dept.

Me too. CMU RI is my top choice. Fortunately I think the RI has a tradition on sending out decisions later than the other institutes in CMU.

Noticed u had an acceptance from UMass Amherst, MrRoboto. Which program and when did you hear from them? I applied for CS MS/PhD and specialization being AI

You know, Berkeley wasn't such a great fit, and California is going to all hell, but they could at least put in their deny letter template "Dear ${name}," instead of "Dear Applicant."

You know, Berkeley wasn't such a great fit, and California is going to all hell, but they could at least put in their deny letter template "Dear ${name}," instead of "Dear Applicant."

Haha yeah, that was enraging...

Noticed u had an acceptance from UMass Amherst, MrRoboto. Which program and when did you hear from them? I applied for CS MS/PhD and specialization being AI

I applied to CS PhD in AI. I was contacted by a prof., and got my acceptance during the first "wave" of admits (2/9). Got full funding, but that's about all I know. The admit weekend is March 5 - 7.

Greetings, all. This is my second year applying for CS Ph.D., after going 0 for 7 last admission season. (I tried to log in with my old account information, but it claimed that the password was wrong. Oh well.) I'm an American applicant hoping to specialize in A.I.

Happy to report I've received 2 acceptances with funding thus far, from Maryland and Vanderbilt. :)

Also, to the person on the results search who asked the people who received an acceptance notification if the status changed on Maryland's website, mine still says "Pending Decision" if I log into my application so you may still have hope. :)