What to look for in PhD programs

shazoop

Hi all,

I've been really fortunate to have been admitted to several good statistics PhD programs, and I'd like some advice on how to choose/what to look for. I know research fit, research breadth, size of the department are all important, but are there any important criteria I'm missing? How important is attrition rate/completion time/alumni placements/prestige in all this? I aspire to an academic career. Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, I should actually read the OP.

Anyway, one of the biggest things I'm looking for is alumni placement. Life continues after your dissertation. This is especially important if you're looking to stay in academia after you finish.

Edited by poopyhead

Here's a thread from a few years ago discussing this stuff:

I'd say if you know you want to go the academic route and already have a research area in mind then what should matter most are potential advisors and the placements of their past students.

On 2/13/2017 at 11:28 PM, shazoop said:

Hi all,

I've been really fortunate to have been admitted to several good statistics PhD programs, and I'd like some advice on how to choose/what to look for. I know research fit, research breadth, size of the department are all important, but are there any important criteria I'm missing? How important is attrition rate/completion time/alumni placements/prestige in all this? I aspire to an academic career. Any advice would be appreciated.

The statistics profession is going through an evolution with no clear end game. First, the academic job market for statistics faculty positions is quite tight and difficult to land even if one is coming from a top department. A recent Amstats News article spoke the sobering fact that post-docs in statistics is growing exponentially which further delays the starting of an academic career. Then there is a computer science (CS) effect. Those few faculty positions that are out there are increasingly being filled by CS PhD graduates. The number CS PhD students is exploding. So, there is a risk that this supply of graduates can further crowd out a traditional PhD in statistics student.