Unsure who to ask for letters of recommendation

rwoodward

I'm an international undergrad, but I'm unsure who to use for letters of recommendation.

The rule I've seen for LoR is to ask people who have known you for more than 6 months. Unfortunately due to the way my course works, there is only one person in my intended area (organic chemistry) who will have known me for this length of time, and he hasn't seen me outside taught courses.

My choices are:

A research fellow in org chem (who works for a famous prof) who has taught me for a year, my masters supervisor (organic chemistry - he will have known me for 4 months when I apply), a famous professor I did a summer project with (organic chemistry - worked with him ~3 months) or two professors in inorganic/physical chemistry who have taught me for three years and know me really well.

I'm unsure who to pick. I'm scared if I don't pick 3 organic chemists this will hinder me, and also if only one person I pick has seen me do research. Is it bad to include people who have worked with me for less than 6 months, or this a general rule to insure the supervisor knows me well? Do I have any chance at top schools? 

Thanks in advance for help.

Edited by rising_star
to remove identifying info

It is best to include at least two people who have seen you do research. All the better that they're organic chemists too in your case. The third recommendation can be from any of your two teachers (better if they're well known in their field), doesn't matter if they're from a different field.

What matters is if you've had meaningful interaction with the recommenders and displayed your capabilities. The six month guideline need not be strictly adhered to.

My gut feeling is the following. I'd honestly say that you should rule out the research fellow from the consideration. What I've seen is that letters from folks who have a Ph.D. will carry more weight than those who don't. I'd do two professors you've done research with, and one professor who taught you.

9 hours ago, sk8er determinant said:

My gut feeling is the following. I'd honestly say that you should rule out the research fellow from the consideration. What I've seen is that letters from folks who have a Ph.D. will carry more weight than those who don't. I'd do two professors you've done research with, and one professor who taught you.

Thanks for your reply. The research fellow does have a doctorate (he's more like a postdoc really - he has published over 100 publications) - does that make a difference? Or do you still think it's better to use the other professors in a different field? 

• 3 weeks later...

Always go with professors! I was given the advice to choose a professor I've taken 2 classes with over a research fellow (he has a PhD and a Postdoc) who works closely with me on my ongoing research. 

Also, if you believe that the other professors (not organic) know you better and will write you better letters, then go with them! I applied for organic programs this year and I've gotten letters from a P-Chem professor  and 2 Chem-Bio professors. I had one Organic prof that I was thinking about, but I felt that he wouldn't write me the best letter, so I didn't end up asking him. I got into all the top universities I applied to. 

Edited by ochemist94

On 03/03/2017 at 7:00 PM, ochemist94 said:

Always go with professors! I was given the advice to choose a professor I've taken 2 classes with over a research fellow (he has a PhD and a Postdoc) who works closely with me on my ongoing research. 

Also, if you believe that the other professors (not organic) know you better and will write you better letters, then go with them! I applied for organic programs this year and I've gotten letters from a P-Chem professor  and 2 Chem-Bio professors. I had one Organic prof that I was thinking about, but I felt that he wouldn't write me the best letter, so I didn't end up asking him. I got into all the top universities I applied to. 

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful :)