How to Delay an Admissions Offer Deadline

BellaAung

Hello everyone,

I am in a tough situation right now so I'd really appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice. I have been accepted to 2 of the 6 schools I have applied to. They are my number 3 and 4 schools so I am pretty pleased. Simon Fraser offered me a full ride plus TA positions on February 7. However, they want me to reply to their offer by February 21.

Even though I am very excited about the offer, I'd still like to hear back from my top 2 schools before I make any final decisions. I am thinking of a way to communicate it to SFU without making them sound like they are a backup plan or being disrespectful to the department, especially when they offer me a lot of money.

If anyone would help me with a sample template of email to request a deadline extension or something along the line, it'd be very much appreciated! Thank you so much!

I have emailed two universities (Imperial and UCL) for deadline extensions. At least in the UK, it's a very commonly done thing so there's no need to worry. I just went with something along the lines of "I am still waiting for a decision from other universities. Is it possible to extend the deadline by which I need to respond to this decision as I do not want to make a decision in haste". Last thing they want is uncertainty in their decision replies so I'd be very surprised if they didn't allow you the extension.